Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compatibility Problems (RAM to MB, more)

• Please log in to reply

Sooperjoe

Sooperjoe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well I bought myself a new computer off of Newegg last night, and I apparently didn't do a very good job. I've never built a computer from scratch before so I need some help.

Here are the things that I ordered:

Case: XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
PS: XCLIO DIAMONDPOWER 880W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
MB: GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGMBOX - Retail
RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Video Card: XFX HD-587A-ZND9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB XXX Edition 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported ... - Retail
Monitor: SAMSUNG 2494SW Glossy Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

The RAM and Motherboard don't work (at least I think so). Is that true and are there any other problems I should fix now?

I know this seems like a lazy person asking you to do stuff but I already screwed this up once and I really just want to get it right, it's a lot of money for me.

Advertisements

paul8

paul8

• Pip
  • 5 posts
your motherboard only supports dual channel memory,your trying to install trip channel memory, your right it's DDR3 240PIN BUT DUAL CHANNEL