Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Shuts down randomly

• Please log in to reply

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
No matter how easy everything seems, something always happens, either way I learned something new, and hopefully someone else will as well.

Your help has been phenomenal.

:)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you and you have been very patient with everything we have done.
I want to Thank you for choosing GTG for help and hope you will look around and enjoy our other forums. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge here and you are welcome to stay and learn if you would like.

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I will, :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You know, I am pretty passionate about this subject, it's the reason why I do the work that I do. I build custom computers (amongst other jobs) because I simply hate being given a set design that a large company has chosen. If ever you change your mind, I will give you all the support I can so you can build your own. Horror stories? I'd like to hear them. 99% of problems I have in the workshop are from cheap parts or an incorrectly built system - these are repairs I do, never my new builds.

Choose some quality parts, take the time to carefully build the system properly, and hands-down you have a winner. Read through our guide here if you like. By all means you are most welcome to purchase another Dell. Just today in the workshop I diagnosed a Dell Dimension 5150 desktop with a faulty PSU and motherboard. Unfortunately the motherboard and case are proprietary and do not accept a standard motherboard form factor. So I sold him a new case, PSU, and motherboard, and swapped everything over for him. He was not happy with the extra expense when it could have been a lot simpler, but he does have a working system once again - and it'd be a lot easier next time round to upgrade/replace/repair if necessary. :)

Troy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree Troy. It was what i do also and i have to say that poorly written instructions and overly enthusiastic builders can be another reason.
Remember the Tutorial i mentioned Logikk?
Take a look at it HERE

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
another thing to consider...when you but a prebuilt system you get a one year warranty and usually there is little to no upgrade ability...your basically stuck with what you bought...

when you build your own ...you will have 3 years warranty on the processor and mobo...5 years on the hard drives and lifetime on the RAM...3 or 5 years on the power supply...and if you do just a little research on the mobo , you can get one with lots of headroom...
just throwing in my 2 cents worth... :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
True happyrock, unless you have ordered a custom machine, in which case it's possible (depending on parts used) that you will have that warranty anyway. It's just for the first year the shop will sort it out for you, this is what I do. After that it's up to the user to determine the faulty part before getting it replaced, that can be a bit tricky sometimes but that's why we're here.

I have had one computer returned to me outside of warranty, the PSU had died, I gave him the right number to call and re-issued him an invoice (he had lost it) for proof of purchase and he sorted it all out.

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Well... I am back.

Apparently, it lasts longer. Now instead it goes from 4-5 hours and this time it shutdowns all my programs, and all the good stuff. I can turn it on without a problem now, just this time it says.

System is now in safe mode. Please reset CPU or Memory Frequency.

Help?
:)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What happens if you reboot, does it go back to normal mode or back into safe mode?

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I choose to go back into normal mode, and the problem occurs again.

It allows me to hit f1 continuing, then it says Windows didnt shut down correctly.

Then it occurs 4-5 hours later.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets do some work. If you have your OS installation disk you can do the following with it or just follow the instructions exactly.

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors