Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hdd not recognized

• Please log in to reply

virtuousenforcer

virtuousenforcer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,
I hate asking for help but here we go. Just put together a new build. when trying to instal win 7 I get to the fresh instal bit which then leads to the computer wont recognize the hard drive (sata 1tb WD). This is a used hd so not sure if it has been properly formatted yet. Anyhow..in the bios it asks whether it is acpi or ide...If in ide mode it will recognize hd but wont allow win 7 to instal, if in acpi mode it wont recognize at all....I have tried searching for drivers but no luck.

If someone says make sure disk is formatted first (which I am sure they will and I probably should) would it be best to connect to other computer as a slave and format???

I would have thought that the problem is sata driver, but certainly win 7 should have it for this hd and board?

any help??

core 2 duo e8400
gigabyte ga-ep43-ud3l (v1.0)
corsair ddr2 (3gb)
sata sony dvd drive
860w power supply
nvidia 8600gt

cheers

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If in IDE mode, it should allow to install. Does it give you an error message?

If you use AHCI mode, you might need to specify the drive which can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

virtuousenforcer

virtuousenforcer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK, here is full tidbits..
in bios I am able to change sata ahci mode to ide(default) or sata...as well as sata port 0-3 native mode enabled or disabled(default)

While trying to do my install, i pass the language screen, the install now screen, license screen, then it comes to upgrade/custom instal screen (which I choose custom or full install). it then comes up with the choose hard drive screen (which is all diff from win xp) and it says no drives found, click load driver to provide mass storage device...(btw it shows no drivers)
in my first set-up, it showed my hd partitioned but said the o/s does not recognize it. it was then i started to change bits in bios. and now it doesnt show anything. (am now going back to default setting)

My hard drive is in the 1 sata port and disk drive in the 0 port(tried moving this around but it wont recognize the disk drive in port 2 or 3 so far) i have 8 all together.

again I have as yet connected this hd to my other computer and done a full format. I would think though that win 7 should be able to cope with this and do it as you instal

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
At the time when it wants drivers, prepare a usb stick with the drivers from the Gigabyte website, plug it in and navigate to them, Windows 7 should pick up on the driver, install it, and then be able to see the hard drive.

Windows 7 is fantastic however it doesn't pick up drivers for everything first go for all the parts out there, I don't think any OS could do that.

virtuousenforcer

virtuousenforcer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
as usual what I should have done in first place is what the problem was. HD needed formatting as it was set in a guid format??? formatted it and all is fine...thanks for reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Ah yes, that would help. Windows needs to install to NTFS, thanks for letting us know.