Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem accessing old files when transferring from XP to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

paulelsa

paulelsa

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have just bought a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate after my old XP machine crashed.
Before the crash I had done a backup with Acronis True Image Home 2010. I copied the back up files onto the new machine and mounted onto a virtual drive. I can see the items but when I try to open items in the old machine's my documents I get the message "you don't currently have permission to access this folder" and then "click continue to permanently get access to this folder" I then get "You have been denied permission to access this folder, to gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab" So I click on that, go to advanced and under current owner it says "unable to display curent owner" and the only option is "Edit" When I do that I get the message "You only have permission to view the current owner on Paul" Paul was my user name on the pervious machine. How can I access these files?

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, Give this a look not sure if it will help or not.

http://paulstamatiou...sta-permissions

Dwight