Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless USB Network Adapter won't find networks

• Please log in to reply

beruboshi

beruboshi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I ave been using a Ralink USB Network Adapter for a while now, and it has been working fine. However, I recently moved house, and when I got my computer up and running it stopped working. It no longer picks up any networks at all. I'm completely at a loss as to why this would be. Here are the details and some solutions I've already tried:

1) I'm running Windows Vista
2) The device is enabled in device manager
3) It appears in my manage network connections window, but won't enable
4) Everything about the network is identical to my previous house; all of the hardware is exactly the same, is plugged in in the same configuration (in fact, I kept it all connected when I moved it), and I'm using the same internet provider, with the same account, and it worked fine there, so I'm inclined to think it's not something on that side of things
5) The internet works (on other computers)
6) The wireless network works (on other computers)
7) The USB network adapter works fine when I plug it into other computers, so it's not broken
8) I'm running the same drivers on my computer, and on the computers on which the adapter runs perfectly
9) I've uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials (as I read while trawling for a solution that this can be an issue), and anything else that could be interfering - at least, anything that I can imagine might be interfering. I could very well have missed a piece of software, so please make suggestions in this area if you can think of anything
10) I've reset the PC many, many times, and I've also unplugged the USB adaptor and plugged it back in many times.

I think that covers it. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very, very grateful.

Advertisements

paul8

paul8

• Pip
  • 5 posts
unplug the adapter uninstall driver, restart the computer then reinstall the driver first when it's say plug your adpater in then plug it in. I would also reset the router too

beruboshi

beruboshi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, I'll try that...

...no luck. [bleep].