1) I'm running Windows Vista
2) The device is enabled in device manager
3) It appears in my manage network connections window, but won't enable
4) Everything about the network is identical to my previous house; all of the hardware is exactly the same, is plugged in in the same configuration (in fact, I kept it all connected when I moved it), and I'm using the same internet provider, with the same account, and it worked fine there, so I'm inclined to think it's not something on that side of things
5) The internet works (on other computers)
6) The wireless network works (on other computers)
7) The USB network adapter works fine when I plug it into other computers, so it's not broken
8) I'm running the same drivers on my computer, and on the computers on which the adapter runs perfectly
9) I've uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials (as I read while trawling for a solution that this can be an issue), and anything else that could be interfering - at least, anything that I can imagine might be interfering. I could very well have missed a piece of software, so please make suggestions in this area if you can think of anything
10) I've reset the PC many, many times, and I've also unplugged the USB adaptor and plugged it back in many times.
I think that covers it. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very, very grateful.