Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer goes to sleep spontaneously!

• Please log in to reply

greyblue

greyblue

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Guys I have a major problem... my computer randomly goes to sleep... it started happening only today, after i came home from work. I can be doing anything, playing a game, to using microsoft word, when suddenly the monitor will flash the words 'computer going into sleep mode' and my pc will then go into sleep mode.

turning back the computer is impossible unless I press the restart button that is beside the power on switch. the first few times i tried to restart my computer by pressing the restart button it beeped twice loudly and didnt respond. i shut off the main switch and tried again and it worked.

now it spontaneously goes to sleep at random intervals... i have used it for a few hours without it shutting down but there was a time where it would just go to sleep after ived used it for 20 minutes. once it went to sleep before the computer fully started up!!!

i have searched all over the internet for a solution and cant seem to find one... i suspect it MIGHT be a power supply problem. (im using a 500w power supply)

and before anyone mentions this, i have set all the power options to 'NEVER', that is system standby on NEVER and hibernate and all options are disabled.

thanks so much for your help

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
This sounds like an overheating problem.. Or some malfunctioning hardware. Some information on your computer would be nice :) Have you checked your sleep settings in the BIOS? (Restart your computer, and {probably} repeatedly press F1 to get to BIOS setup.) How old is your system?

Best Regards,
-Jason

greyblue

greyblue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, thanks for the reply...

Im suspecting its an overheating reply too..

My computer is relatively new ( almost 2 years old) and i spent quite a sum to build it.

Its a quad core intel q6600, with 4 gigs of ram and nvidia 8800... it runs really fast because i do a disk check and defrag once in awhile... a year ago it started booting really slow though, but besides that the computer has NEVER once given me a single problem, or started lagging or anything like that.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hello again,

Hmm.. alright. What do you use currently for antivirus and firewall software? We can't rule out that malware could be causing this as well.. Have you been able to run a full system scan recently?

Does this problem still occur in safe mode (Restart, hold or repeatedly press F8 to get to advanced options)?

Sometimes this could be caused by drivers that need to be updated.. especially graphic card drivers.. (Start > Run > (type in:) devmgmt.msc) to get to Device Manager, check for any yellow exclamations or red x's, and right-click items and choose Update Driver Software. Look on your graphics card manufacturer's website for a driver update as well.

Some other ideas are cleaning the inside of your computer, a can of compressed air seems to work good, or (if you are careful) a vacuum cleaner. Do not touch the inside of your computer without an antistatic wrist strap, or other means to avoid electrostatic discharge..

Do you have another power supply you could test on it instead? Check your mobo manufacturer's website for a BIOS update as well.. Don't forget to check the BIOS settings as I said in the previous post.

Hopefully we can solve this! Test all these ideas and report back with your findings.

Best regards,
-Jason