Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Graphics in games go haywire then I get BSOD

• Please log in to reply

slain4ever

slain4ever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
so it could be the heat thats the problem? I have dual monitors so i'll put up HWmonitor and see what the temperature is at the next time it crashes

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

so it could be the heat thats the problem? I have dual monitors so i'll put up HWmonitor and see what the temperature is at the next time it crashes

Ahh a excellent ideal!!! :)
You might want to open the system up as I'm taking it this is a desktop and check that video card fan to make sure it is turning correctly. If it is full of dust you will need to use a can of compressed air to blow it out along with the inside of the system.

slain4ever

slain4ever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
hey again
i was playing css yesterday and it crashed twice, unfortunately I didn't have the heat meter on the other monitor because I had a friend playing with me and I had a movie playing on it instead.
But it couldn't have been very hot because I had the fan on 100% and css windowed (from memory this gives me around 50-55C). My friend I had with me is pretty good at computers and said that it could be because my card is trying to run two graphic programs at the same time. (could this be the case?)

crash 1: the text in counter strike went all weird and boxy (pretty much the same as the last screenshot of my first post). I then closed cs then got an error saying hl2.exe (aka counterstrike) had encountered an error and closed then I got BSOD.

crash 2: same text problem (note there is more wrong then just the text) but after I closed it, I didn't get BSOD and could continue watching the movie and doing other stuff.

Edited by slain4ever, 16 January 2010 - 06:13 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get me a new blue screen view log please?

slain4ever

slain4ever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I ran both the programs but neither of them have any logs for 2010 although I have had several BSOD this year.
both of them are the same as what i uploaded before

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok if not that oone then it has to be a WhoCrashed log. Can you send a new one of them?

slain4ever

slain4ever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
another css crash and bsod temp = 51C. again I was playing a movie at the same time
another interesting point is that my screens flicker every coupla seconds after the graphics are haywire

slain4ever

slain4ever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
On Mon 4/01/2010 6:55:59 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll
Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0x89804020, 0x895E1EB8, 0x89CF0FA8, 0x1)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
Dump file: E:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini010410-01.dmp
file path: E:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 182.50
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 182.50

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Driver problem.

First, uninstall the NVIDIA drivers (if they are still installed) using Add or Remove Programs. You can get to Add or Remove Programs by clicking on the Start Button, then clicking on Control Panel. Then click Add or Remove Programs. Once in Add or Remove Programs, you need to find NVIDIA Drivers and click Change/Remove. (If you have an NVIDIA chipset, make sure the NVIDIA Display Driver checkbox is checked, then click Remove. Otherwise, just click Yes.)

Next, please download and install Driver Sweeper from here. (Click on the Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Then, boot the computer into safe mode. To do this,
  • Turn the computer on (or restart the computer if it is already on).
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in safe mode.
Next, open the program, Guru3D Driver Sweeper, that you just installed. Check the checkbox for cleaning NVIDIA - Display drivers. Then press the Clean button.

Reboot normally (not into safe mode), and then, download and install the drivers found here. (I'm having you install drivers that are a little bit older but are known to have less issues than the 190.xx series drivers.)

Reboot when prompted, and let us know if you still receive the error message.

Thanks to Stettybet0 for the instructions

slain4ever

slain4ever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
no offence but do you have amnesia or something?

1. I already did that
2. that log i posted is the same as what i posted before, when my pc crashed no new logs where in whocrashed.exe

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry but I handle several topics everyday and sometimes confusion sets in.
Since upgrading driver didn't work then it is possible a failing video card is the issue then.
The one option we never visited was the PSU being under powered.
Can you give me the specs on it... total wattage and the make and model. How old is it?

slain4ever

slain4ever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
2 or 3 months old maybe

(transcribed from the box)
XFX GeForce GTS 250
Minimum power supply requirements:
450W (mimimum 12V current rating of 24A)

Cooler Master Extreme power plus 550W

Model: RS-550-PCAR-E3
Type: Intel Form Factor ATX12V V2.3
Input Voltage: 110-115v/220-230v
input current: 8A@115Cac / 6.3A@230Vac
Input frequency range: 47~63Hz
Fan: 120mm fan
Power good signal: 100~500ms
Hold up time: >17ms
Effeciency >70% typically
MTBF: >100,000 hours
Protection: OVP / OPP/ SCP
dimension 150x140x86mm
Operating temperature: 5~40C (nominal input voltage)
regulatory: Nemko / TUV / CE /UL /FCC/ BSMI / GOST/ C-tick

DC output: +3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 -5V -12V 5Vsb
Max output: 25A 25A 16A 16A 0.8A .8A 2.5A

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well I'm just out of ideals now.
A 550 PSU should have enough but if the PSU is not powering correctly it could be a issue.
If Video card has a bad memory chip that could be the problem.
This is the only thing I can see as the problem. The Speedfan pic you took shows the card at the correct temp but the max temp seems a little high to me.
That again could be caused by the PSU not powering correctly.

I'm going to ask a PSu expert to take a look at the voltages and let us know what he thinks first.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I heard back from our PSU expert and he seems to think the PSU is a potential problem. His suggestion and I agree is to try another PSU of the same if not more wattage.
Upon further investigation he also states the graphics card is spiking higher in temps then it should and this could indicate a problem with the card itself.
The option though is that the graphics may be trying to compensate for the PSU not supplying enough power to it.
How is the inside of the system as far as dust or anything that may be impeding the fan turning correctly?

slain4ever

slain4ever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
its pretty clean as its brand new