Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need to reformat hard drive... how?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

riponfrosh

riponfrosh

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello all. I'm trying to perform a clean install of xp on my dell d610 laptop with a 250gb hard drive.
I tried to install xp on it after it refused to boot. the xp setup asked which partition i would like to use, so i chose the one that was there before (the only one.) it then said that you shouldn't run parallel operating systems and that you should delete all the old data.
So I did. (by hitting "d")
It then asks you to select a partition. The only partition on there was the empty (raw) partition that i essentially just created, however xp says that there's something wrong with it.
This is apparently common, so people use other means of partitioning/formatting the hard drive. I've seen a lot of talk of fdisk, but i'm not sure if that's exactly what i need, or where to find it.
Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks!
Nick

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Already replied in your original topic. Please do not post duplicate topics.
This topic will be closed.