Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown Service in Startup

• Please log in to reply

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Hey guys.

I ran autoruns this morning to remove unneeded startup programs and came across this one:

1. dcmsvc

It has no product name or program I can find. I looked it up on Google but couldn't find out what it is.

Where should I look to find out? Is it a required service? [I am running Windows 7 Home Edition]

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Indeed there seems to be little known about dcmsv.exe, or from where it originates, but I can tell you it's not a service that's built into any version of Windows, nor is it an essential requirement for Windows to run.

It usually resides at C\Program Files\dcmsvc\dcmsvc.exe

At the very least I would disable it from starting with Windows. If no problems are encountered after say, one week of normal use, I would delete the startup entry and the actual file (path shown above) including it's parent folder dcmsvc

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It looks like a part of Digital Copy Manager: https://dcm.warnerbr...faces/Faq.jsp#9

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Indeed there seems to be little known about dcmsv.exe, or from where it originates, but I can tell you it's not a service that's built into any version of Windows, nor is it an essential requirement for Windows to run.

It usually resides at C\Program Files\dcmsvc\dcmsvc.exe

At the very least I would disable it from starting with Windows. If no problems are encountered after say, one week of normal use, I would delete the startup entry and the actual file (path shown above) including it's parent folder dcmsvc

Hi phillipcorcoran. :)

Thanks for your help. Yeah, I was going to do that but I wanted to see if I could find out what it is first.

It looks like a part of Digital Copy Manager: https://dcm.warnerbr...faces/Faq.jsp#9

Thanks Broni. :)

I do indeed have a Warner Brothers program installed so it must be part of that. It did seem weird though to not have a name associated with it. Mystery solved!

Thanks again. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Sure thing :)

tiggerthetiger237

tiggerthetiger237

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the info! I had uninstalled the Warner Brothers application because it was crap BUT the dcmsvc folder was NOT removed and continued to run! Big Brother is watching you. 1984

Where is the startup instruction for dcmsvc? It's not in the Startup folder. I found the following entries, should I delete?

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\dcmsvcsetup.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\DCMSVC.EXE-1DC3F5DB.pf

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Folder won't bother you, as long as the program is not running.
Let's see...

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

tiggerthetiger237

tiggerthetiger237

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just delete the files. Then went and bought "webroot AntiVirus with Spy Sweeper 2010". Found a few spyware cookies. Good program! I think companies like Warner Brothers should be accountable when they leave spyware running after you uninstall their software. I had uninstalled this previously and it was still running each time I turned my pc on!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
All cool now?

tiggerthetiger237

tiggerthetiger237

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Aw, Pooh Bear, my other name! Ever read the Tao of Pooh (Winnie in the into says its more like the OW of pooh. But I digress. Yes, it is a COOL morning now although this geekstogo! site Locked me out of my tiggerthetiger23 account and I had to make a tiggerthetiger237 which is hard to remember. I am OCD and like using ONLY tiggerthetiger23. Sending a message to admin next! But as for the PC issues, webroot has fixed my problems along with u geeks! Thanks so much! Anyone on here like the Big Bang Theory (show)? Not the theory, I only draw about it in my book, The art of the cosmos and the fourth state of matter/energy. On Wikipedia it's UNKNOWN, for others, it's ETHERIC! But that's better discussed on the Physics forum. Yeah, us bipolar go everywhere in conversations. And I'm a TALKER! Thanks again Broni, et. all!

:)

Ivan :) J. Adams

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
:)