Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple Browser Access Problems

• Please log in to reply

babycattleya

babycattleya

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok, I am using win xp, and i have the SP2 updates in place... I also using a DSL connection to connect to the internet. I also run Aol 9.0 on my computer and I use Internet Explorer, Netscape and FireFox as my internet browsers.

a couple days ago, My internet explorer started to act funny. It would not load certain pages. It got worse last night. It would not load any pages except those with a .gov suffix...

I tried my two other browsers. ..

I suspected I had a virus. ..
I ran liveUpdate with Norton professional
I ran a scan. Norton detected a virus called "AlwaysUP"

I ran a second scan with Trendmicro Housecall, it detected a virus called malware.PE_Parite.A which injects into the Memory of IE. now, it auto-cleaned it, but even still IE did not work, Netscape NOR Firefox. To further add a twist, The internal IE browser for AOL 9.0 still works.

I suspected maybe a hook in my address bars or something like that, I ran HiJack This, and deleted suspicious registry keys. I checked the registry and all my domain suffixes were the normal %.com , %.org ... I checked the HOSTS file and there were no entries except LOcal Host.

I uninstalled and reinstalled my local area connections, and my net adapters.

none of the 3 browsers work, although the internal AOL browser continues to work.

Please help if you can, Im a full time student and I need my puter in working condition :(..

Marie

Advertisements

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Do you have system restore turned on?
If so try restoring to a point when this was not happening.
Mike