Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSN real riddle

• Please log in to reply

thecountdantes

thecountdantes

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi everyone,

I installed Windows Live Messenger as soon as I bought my Vaio Sony (6 months ago). Now, it has worked all fine for about 3 months. Then, all of a sudden, when I would sign in the blue circle (I've got Windows Vista) would start spinning and it would not stop. The computer would freeze and wouldn't even let me in the CTRL+ALT+CANC page. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Live, I tried updating my windows vista, but nothing. Now, the funny and weird thing is that I tried to log in with other accounts and it does let me! So I tried changing my password but it still does the same. It looks like it developed a kinda allergy to my account.. and if it weren't for the fact I have all my contacts just there I would have already changed it! Can anyone help me please?? thank you.

Advertisements

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Hey thecountdantes. :)

Ok. Let's run through a few quick things first so that we can rule out the easy part of the process.

Let's uninstall and reinstall to make sure it is clean.

Firstly download Revo Uninstaller to your desktop:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Secondly:

1. Double click on the Installer
2. Accept the License Agreement
3. Follow the prompts
4. Reboot once it has completed

Now:

1. Go to Start
2. Click All Programs
3. Select Revo Uninstaller
4. Once it has finished loading select Windows Live Messenger
5. Click Uninstall
6. Once the uninstallation has been completed, reboot your computer

Next:

1. Go here to download the latest Live Messenger software:

http://download.live.com/

2. Save the installer to your desktop
3. Double click on the installer
4. Follow the prompts and reboot if required

You should now have a clean installation of Windows Live and it should be up to date. Let me know if you have any problems at this point with the installation.

Next up:

Ensure you have the latest Windows Updates installed. Go here to ensure you have (using Internet Explorer):

http://v4.windowsupd.../en/default.asp

Give your Live Messenger a go and let me know if the problem persists.

I might also suggest that you try a different messenger client like Trillian and see if you have a problem there as well:

http://www.trillian.im/

Let me know how it goes. :)

thecountdantes

thecountdantes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello Robin Hood,

First of all, thank you so much for your help :) secondly, I followed carefully your guidelines but the problem persists. When I sign in my pc freezes. The only difference was that this time I didnt get any rolling blue thingy but the cursor stayed.. still the pc froze. I checked the updates, it's alright. Oh, and as to Trillian, I checked it out but I think they require me to register right!? should I do that? anyway, I've also tried meebo.com in the past and my account works pretty fine with it, except for the fact I dont seem able to add new contacts (I mean I can do it but the other person doesnt get the request.. weird..). At any rate, what's next?

P.S. I dont know if I mentioned it or it might help but windows live logs me in with whatever account other than my own!

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

I would recommend signing up for the free version of Trillian as I have no problems with it at all. It will let you balance multiple accounts at one and will let you add contacts.

As for Windows Live Messenger I would disable the automatic sign in.

Try this to disable a service that is known to cause problems with Windows Live:

1. Go to Start > Run > services.msc
2. Go to Messenger Sharing Folders USN Journal Reader service
3. Click on Properties > Disable

If that doesn't solve it, then read this article about disabling other services:

http://support.micro...b;en-us;q317843

Make sure when you follow the steps that you backup the registry first by following my below instructions:

Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot perform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Download ERUNT (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)

• Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)

• Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)

• Choose a location for the backup (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.

Posted Image

1. Go to Start > Control Panel > View
2. Click the Reset Folders button
3. Click Yes
4. Click Ok

Let me know how all that goes. :)

thecountdantes

thecountdantes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey Robin Hood,

I dont think the automatic sign in is on this time around (it was before but not now that I re-installed it) cuz the windows live messenger window doesnt pop up when I first access windows. Other than that, I wouldnt really know how to disable it :)

As to disabling the service you told me, I get to access "servizi" (it's in italian unfortunately)but inside that there's nothing that even just looks like "Messenger Sharing Folders USN Journal Reader service". I tried to copy the whole list to pass it to you but for some reason Im not allowed.

As to following the steps in the article you suggested me.. I tried but that's like reading Arabian to me :) also, I already ran ERUNT for another problem Ive been having and it's now resolved thanks to you guys! :)

As to Trillian, Im trying it.. so far all of my contacts are off, hopefully that is not a bug or something. I also tried to add someone. We'll see.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Follow these instructions to disable automatic sign in of any of your accounts in Windows Live:

1. Open Windows Live Messenger
2. Go to Tools > Options
3. Click the Sign In link on the left hand side
4. Uncheck the box saying Allow Automatic sign in when connected to the Internet

As for the article, not a problem. Make sure you back up the registry using the method in my previous post (make a new backup) AND then follow these instructions to turn off discovery messages as they can interfere with Windows Live:

1. Go to Start > Run > regedit
2. Locate and click the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DirectPlayNATHelp\DPNHUPnP

3. On the Edit menu click Add Value and then add the following registry value:
Value name: UPnPMode
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 2

4. Quit regedit
5. Reboot

In Trillian, have you added your email address and then connected? As for adding contacts, make sure you have the right email address selected when you add them.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

thecountdantes

thecountdantes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey Robin Hood :)

So I tried to modify the file you told me. I arrived to the key in the registry but when I go to Edit it says "nuovo" (which is "new" in english) and when i click on it it lets you choose among "chiave"("key"), "valore stringa" ("line value" ?!? im not really sure..), "valore binario" ("binary value"), "DWORD valore" ("DWORD value"), "QWORD valore" ("QWORD value"), valore multistringa ("multi-line value" ?!? again im not really sure..), "valore stringa espandibile"("expandable line string"). Which one should I click on??

As to trillian I registered and everything and apparently it works fine :) thanks!

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Hey,

Glad to hear Trillian works fine. :)

Click New > Key and then go from there. :)

thecountdantes

thecountdantes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey Robin Hood,

Im sorry, Im a little confused here :) ..If I click on DPNHUPnP and pick "modify" and then "key" the only thing I get to choose is the name of the key. Then, if I want I can modify THAT "key" (clicking on it and then clicking on "modify" again)but I gotta choose again among the modifications I wrote in my previous reply (key, string value, etc.). I was thinking.. once I click on DPNHUPnP and then "modify", should I simply choose "valore DWORD"?? Cuz if I do that it comes out a new string, right under the previous one (a REG_SZ type), which says REG_DWORD type and I get to modify the name of it (and I should write "UPnPMode" right?) and even the data value (and I should just write "2" right?). In case I am supposed to do that, as to the "data value" it asks me also if I want to use an esadecimal or a decimal system (being set on the esadecimal), which one should I choose? thank you again :)

thecountdantes

thecountdantes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey Robin Hood, Im sorry to bother you again but didnt hear back from you in quite a while.. Im using trillian and it's all good but there are some limitations. It doesnt say when someone is inviting me to use the webcam, I dont have my emoticons, the colors i choose for writing dont appear to my recipient, etc. I would really like to sort the msn problem out and get back to my msn. Can you help me? thank you :)