Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SHRegvalueW cannot be founf in the dynamic library link Shlwapi.dll

• Please log in to reply

ariz8129

ariz8129

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
When I pull up Internet explorer after doing a system restore the browser pulls up but will not loan the entire web page and it uses all of my cpu usage 100%. I tried to dowload a newer version of Internet exploer and I recieve an error message ShReggetvalueW cannot be found in the dynamic link library shlwapi.dll. I am able to get online with firefox and msn but not internet explorer. What do I need to do to correct this?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
To look for an appropriate solution to this problem, can you tell us please at what point the error message appeared, as your post does not make this point very clear.

Did you get the error:

1. Whilst downloading new version IE?

2. Whilst installing new version of IE?

3. Whilst trying to start new version of IE?

Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
what was the reason for the System Restore originally?
Have you tried a sfc /scannow?
If not then try this:

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Revised and Simplified:

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker,
retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

ariz8129

ariz8129

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

To look for an appropriate solution to this problem, can you tell us please at what point the error message appeared, as your post does not make this point very clear.

Did you get the error:

1. Whilst downloading new version IE?

2. Whilst installing new version of IE?

3. Whilst trying to start new version of IE?

Thanks.

When downloading new version of IE

ariz8129

ariz8129

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

what was the reason for the System Restore originally?
Have you tried a sfc /scannow?
If not then try this:

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Revised and Simplified:

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:

• Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker,
retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

My computer is nine years old and system had so many errors that a system restore was suggested. And yes I have tried sfc /scannow and no error messages recieved.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try rebooting and going into Safe Mode With Networking and trying IE there. Does the same thing happen?

ariz8129

ariz8129

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
will check when get home from work
Thank you :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)

ariz8129

ariz8129

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok internet explorer is working in safe mode with networking

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A HAAA, a good glimmer of light. That means a driver issue or IE has something loading in normal mode it doesn't like.
Reboot back into normal mode and try this:

To disable add-ons in Internet Explorer 8
1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
3. Under Show, click All add-ons.
4. Click the add-on you want to disable, and then click Disable.
5. Repeat step 4 for every add-on to disable. When you are finished, click Close.
Now restart IE and retry IE as before. Let us know if it still happens or not. If not then try enabling one add on at a time and trying IE again till you find the problem.
Most times the cause will be a toolbar add on.

Advertisements

ariz8129

ariz8129

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
when in normal moode and I pull up IE it won't let me click on any of the option like file tools etc...to change anything

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I want to try a experiment then after this next step.
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

If no joy then download Firefox from my signature below and see if it will run correctly.

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 January 2010 - 09:15 PM.

ariz8129

ariz8129

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok will do just so you know I have been using firefox to communicate and it works just fine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahh well that is interesting. Let me ask is the IE7 a update from IE6 or was it originally installed on the system?

ariz8129

ariz8129

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
IE6 was the original on computer and still is when I did system restore IE6 was added back on with software disk computer came with