Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Log On Loop -- notepad.dll problem

• Please log in to reply

Ryan13

Ryan13

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So while surfing the web my computer caught a virus and this caused my computer to spaz and change the background warning me that their was a virus and i should run a spyware program. So, I ran one program that found some problem files in my system32 folder.. but it was unable to delete two of them: 41.exe and notepad.dll. So I used another spyware program that found some more problems and while trying to delete/fix them it told me that notepad.dll was a problem and it told me to restart the computer... so I did and when I tried to login on the username/password screen.. it shows my background for a little bit and the sound it makes during the login process but then it logs back out.

*I tried logging into my guess account.. and it did the same thing.
*I tried logging into Safe Mode... it did the same thing.
*I tried the other options listed after you press f8 during boot up.. and it still couldnt log in for any of them.
*I referenced this past page on geekstogo.com:
http://www.geekstogo...Off-t15771.html

1) I don't have the Windows XP MCE 2005 Cd but I had previously installed Windows Recovery Console.
2) So I went into Windows Recovery Console
* I couldn't find what they wsaupdater.exe but i saw some .exe files that had been created on
1/10/10 which was the date that my computer got infected so I believe i should start by trying to
deal with those files.

So, I would like to know if i'm on the right track because this is my first experience fixing my computer with windows recovery console. Also, I would like to know how to deal with notepad.dll

Advertisements

Ryan13

Ryan13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
while searching through my system folder on windows recovery console

I didn't find notepad.dll which was detected by my spyware tools but I found these other suspicious files.

41.exe
IS15.exe
helper32.dll

what should i do with these files?

I found userinit.exe so that doesnt seem to be the problem.

Edited by Ryan13, 14 January 2010 - 01:43 AM.

Ryan13

Ryan13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Still looking for some help with my Windows XP Log On Log Off Problem

1) userinit.exe is there
2) I deleted some possible problem files: 41.exe, IS15.exe, helper32.dll
3) couldn't find explorer.exe? could a missing explorer.exe be a problem for logging in ?
4) I found backup explorer.exe and userinit.exe files in my I386 folder... can i copy these to system32?

Edited by Ryan13, 15 January 2010 - 12:54 AM.