Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows vista hangs after first reboot on fresh install

• Please log in to reply

adrian3001

adrian3001

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi all,

i recently attempted a fresh install on my laptop which was running vista fine apart from my antivirus telling me it was blocking attempts to attack my computer. However the installation hangs after the first reboot when installation says "completing installation" I tried installing xp & i get the error 0x000007b (i think thiks is correct) i checked up on the error & it could be that the system cant read the hard drive. the drive is a sata drive so im thinking i may need to slip stream the driver into my vista disc. Does anyone have any ideas what else it could be?

Also i do have a recovery partition that is still in tact but the usual alt f10 keys dont make it work so ikm not sure if its possible to fix that?

Hope someone can help as its doing my head in now!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

adrian3001

adrian3001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi it says no drive found. Im guessing I do need to integrate the driver for the hard drive into the windows disc??

Edited by adrian3001, 15 January 2010 - 06:52 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I can't answer your question without knowing what exactly you did.
What brand of hard drive do you have and what utility did you download?

adrian3001

adrian3001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I used the utility you gave me a link for. I have a western digital HD so I used the data lifeguard utility. as I said i think its because its a sata HD and there is no OS on the laptop at the minute so there is no driver for the HD.

I have almost got the integrated vista disc done so I can try that but I need the drivers in inf format and the only one I cant find in inf is the SATA controller driver!!! I have tried extracting the exe files which has brought results with most of the other drivers but as I said its not working with the SATA controller driver. The link for the driver is:

http://global-downlo...r...cer&SC=PA_7

just incase you/anyone may know how to extract the inf file/s.

Thankyou for your help so far.

Edited by adrian3001, 15 January 2010 - 05:00 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You don't extract .inf files. You right click on it and click "Install"

adrian3001

adrian3001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I need the .inf driver file for the sata controller because vlite (the software im using to integrate the drivers onto the vista installation) only uses .inf files for the drivers it integrates. According to my research on google .inf files are within the setup executable files that you get when you download drivers as exe files. This theory has worked with most of my drivers but not with the sata controller driver.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You'll need to wait for some hardware guy to chime in here. Unfortunately, it's not my strongest area.

adrian3001

adrian3001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok no probs. thankyou very much for your time