Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Clean PC

• Please log in to reply

HarleyRG

HarleyRG

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I saw an ad for My Clean PC.com on TV.
What is your opinion of it?

I have gone through the guide on this site.
I also posted my problem and it was removed before it could be answered...I'm assuming due to the length of time posted.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this the topic you refer to being gone?
http://www.geekstogo...de-t263312.html
It's not gone just so many post in the malware forum it got lost in the shuffle. I suggest you post in the waiting room with the link I posted and the original post day. This way one of the malware techs will help you.
BTW miracle cleaning and fixing programs usually will not work and in reality cause more harm then the good they may do.

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 January 2010 - 06:02 PM.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
People give it bad reviews ... LINK

Web of Trust says it's crap as well... LINK

I'd say SCAM. The site name itself shrouds a grimy feeling. With a good antivirus and firewall, you have nothing to worry about anyway. :)

Cheers,

-Jason

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree OpenOutcome
Never been a fan of these miracle programs. A good working knowledge and some tools and the results are much better.

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 January 2010 - 06:32 PM.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

A good working knowledge and some tools and the results are much better.

:) cheers to that!

djdrum

djdrum

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If you watch the ads for a month or so you will notice the name "My Clean PC" will be changed to something like cleanup my pc or something else. These guys used to be Clean My PC a few months back. It's almost like a phony telemarketer scam only they're paying big bucks to advertise on shows like judge judy or pawn stars 'cause that's some of the demographics they are after: the lemmings (ppl who buy acer or eMachines at walmart for $199 and expect $1000 worth of performance). Are you familiar with the Rush song: Fly by night? That's these guys, they will occupy a building or address somewhere for as long as they can get away with, host the site, and hire some techs to do the grunt work. As soon as enough ppl get wise, report them, or the vine drys up, they move on. They'll change their name again. They only have to get one out of 100 ppl to fork over the dough. The real give away: their paid actors state a person wasn't needed to fix the computer (onsite). I've been in the IT industry 30 years, in order for it to be "fixed" someone has to be there with a screw driver, a brain, and the knowhow! There are some things you can do remotely, but that dosen't "fix" the computer! What if a hard drive or motherboard has to be replaced? I'd like to see these jokers do that over a phone or the internet! Anytime you install any program, including diagnostic software, you add overhead (workload) to the RAM and Processor (CPU), hence making the computer slower to a certain degree. So in that respect, it's going to make your pc slower not faster. Besides, it says right on their site that they are only using free software such as Cyberdefender and Registry Cleaner you can download from www.download.com. They aren't doing anything special you can't do yourself. Companies like this are a blight on the average US Citizen, and an embarrassment to the IT community in my opinion. When I fix a computer for someone "in person", they are happy the first time and they keep coming back!

yapcash

yapcash

• Pip
  • 1 posts
it absolutely scam,none useful.read the truth at mycleanpc scam http://mycleanpcscam.com

etcurrie

etcurrie

• Pip
  • 3 posts

People give it bad reviews ... LINK

Web of Trust says it's crap as well... LINK

I'd say SCAM. The site name itself shrouds a grimy feeling. With a good antivirus and firewall, you have nothing to worry about anyway. :)

Cheers,

-Jason

Good information and well said Jason. These thugs have been SCAMMING for years.

Eldridge Currie

TheMechanicalGirl999

TheMechanicalGirl999

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You know what's another embarressment to the IT community and all offense and pity intended for those of you on here who may have at one point worked for them and/or if you have family and/or if you know someone that works for them. Next to these money laundering scam programs GeekSquad might as well be the same thing, but only with a "human" brain. I had sent my laptop to them to get my black screen removed and the viruses off of it and they only fixed the screen, yes I am a bit of a techy and this was my back-up laptop. The computer was even more messed up when I got it back to the point where I couldn't get more three seconds of access to the interface, if I were lucky enough to get passed the login screen. GeekSquad is just the same bunch of idiots hired to make bogus repairs so you will take your tech back to them a few weeks later in the hopes that you as a consumer who knows probably knows (next to) nothing about electronics will do something completely moronic to try and fix your PC that voids the warranty and thus have to pay them a major amount of money since you loose replacement coverage all to try and recover your files that you may have lost due to the stupidity of you both. My advice is read what you can and learn what you can about how to handle most of the basics yourself and keep a good firewall, anti-viral and spyware/malware/etc. type software like SpyBot on hand and if necissary outside tech help is needed do NOT take your laptop to a big name chain, but instead take it to the nearest small "mom and pop" store that services that particular brand of PC!!! Also, keep tabs on your computers site, some may offer a seperate warranty, from the one you may be able to get at GeekSquad from their own plans. Some offer "one year limited warranties" and others have other insurance offers. They also may have their own IT people that will fix your laptop for you if you ship it to them if there is no "mom and pop" store near you (the closest one near me is 40 miles away and the prices were reasonable-ish for repairs of a broken screen that wasn't covered due to it being physical damage...$170 for labor and about $220 for the screen because they had to order it and this was American, so with tax it was around $270...tax in my state is 5%). Keep all of this in mind when taking care of your PC.

Remember, "There is no mind that knows what it believes is best for you better than your own, but that does not mean to ignore it and keep persisting on with doing things on your own when it feels what is best for you is to seek help from an outside source, for denying the help of others and in return not giving them your own insight may be your greatest downfall." ~Anonymous

Edited by TheMechanicalGirl999, 04 November 2012 - 06:44 PM.