Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Edit Song Files

• Please log in to reply

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
This is irritating. :)

Basically, I have some song files I want to put some information into. You know, things like Artist, Album, Title and Genre. So I plod away typing all the information in, I click Apply and I click Ok. I go to iTunes and drag the music files in, only to find that the files come in under 'unknown'. I go back to the song files and find all the information I just changed is gone. I try it again but the same thing happens.

How do I overcome this problem? I've checked and no, the file is not read-only. I also have administrator privileges. :)

Thanks. :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried some software like this HERE?
It may be what you need to edit the tags like it sounds like you are trying to do.
This is from the site I linked for you.

Stamp ID3 tag editing software is a free audio tag editor for Windows. It allows you to add or change the internal file information associated with an mp3, wav or ogg audio file. Software programs such as WavePad Audio Editor, juke box applications and portable music devices such as iPods and phones read and display ID3 tag information and allow you to organize your music by, among other things, genre, artist and year.

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 January 2010 - 09:42 PM.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Have you tried some software like this HERE?
It may be what you need to edit the tags like it sounds like you are trying to do.
This is from the site I linked for you.

Stamp ID3 tag editing software is a free audio tag editor for Windows. It allows you to add or change the internal file information associated with an mp3, wav or ogg audio file. Software programs such as WavePad Audio Editor, juke box applications and portable music devices such as iPods and phones read and display ID3 tag information and allow you to organize your music by, among other things, genre, artist and year.

Hey rshaffer61. :)

I'll give it a go thanks. :)

I used to always be able to edit them but then when I recently upgraded to Windows 7 it all changed. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It may be something with WIN7 and DRM. Hard to tell but since the program is free it would be worth having anyway and who knows it may work better then what you are use to doing. :) :)

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

It may be something with WIN7 and DRM. Hard to tell but since the program is free it would be worth having anyway and who knows it may work better then what you are use to doing. :) :)

I gave it a go and it worked. :)

I'll use it for the moment until I can work out why all changes I make are wiped.

Thanks. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great to hear and congratulations. now on to another topic you have. :)

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Great to hear and congratulations. now on to another topic you have. :)

Yeah, there is a few of those at the moment. :)