Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 - WMP 12 doesn't close properly

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and have Windows Media Player 12 loaded (the one that came with it). My problem is that when I "X" out of it, or even go file > exit, it 'closes' the program, but the process keeps running.

This causes music to continue playing even after i've closed the program, and the only way to actually get rid of it is to open task manager, go to processes, and end it's process.

Thankfully, I don't use WMP to play music with, and I use iTunes. So my problem here is that WMP isn't saving settings when I close it (End it's process). More specifically, a plug-in that I turn on, doesn't stay enabled. I want to turn on the "Windows Live Messenger Music Plugin", as this needs to be turned on in WMP for it to Messenger to recognise the songs iTunes is playing.

Any ideas on how to get my WMP acting normally?

Thanks,
Seltox

EDIT: I had an idea for a workaround. I started up WMP, enabled the plugin. I didn't close WMP but hit the start button and restarted my computer - forcing Windows to close it's program itself, not me. When I started my PC back up, the plugin was still enabled.

So, i've fixed half my problem. I still don't like having to use workarounds to run my computer, so any other advice is still welcome.

FURTHER EDIT: Okay, my 'workaround' didn't totally work. WMP still says the plugin is enabled, but it doesn't work on MSN.

And just so you know that I can actually use this plugin with iTunes & MSN.. If I open WMP, enable the plugin, and then close it & end the process, If MSN is on, and iTunes is playing a song when I end the process, THAT song will come up on msn. The problem here is that that one song will stay there, and won't change when the song changes, or go away when I stop the song. Only by turning off 'what i'm listening to' can I get it to go away.

Edited by Seltox, 15 January 2010 - 04:26 AM.

Advertisements

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Umm, not sure about whether 'double posting' like this is entirely allowed or not, but I fixed my problem :) I done the closest thing I could find to a reinstall of a windows feature.

1. Open "Change or remove a program" (You can open the start menu and type it into the search bar to find it)
2. On the bar to the left, click on "Turn Windows features on or off"
3. Uncheck "Media Features" and let it turn them off. (This requires a restart)
4. After the PC is restarted, open up "Turn Windows features on or off" again, and turn "Media Features" back on. (This doesn't require a restart).
5. With any luck, WMP should now close properly, without the need of killing its process, and the plugin should stay enabled. It worked for me at least.

~Seltox