Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issues With Firefox Timing Out On A Server

• Please log in to reply

UnderZenith

UnderZenith

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, this is my first post on here and I was recommended by a friend. He says you do a really good job here so I'm going to give it a shot.

Since around 3pm yesterday I haven't been able to visit two sites I frequent that share a server:

http://prime.e-wrestling.org
http://www.primetimecentral.net

If you were to click on those links, you'll realize that they work perfectly fine for you. Problem is they don't work for me. On any browser or any computer on my network.

It all started when I was on their "backstage script" trying to change character profile I had access to when it kept telling me I was forbidden. I couldn't figure out why it was saying that so I contacted a friend of mine who is an administrator to take a look, I don't know what she did but she said "Try now, it should work." After that I couldn't access either of those two sites at all, but I can't imagine it'd be something she did. She told me later that she couldn't change my profile either, even with her admin capabilities and had to contact the creator of the script used.

But I think the problem is on my end and not theirs.

Everytime I try to access either site on Firefox it says the server is taking too long to respond. I've cleared my cache, ran AdAware, and deleted all my browser history. I've restarted my computer and my router multiple times with no results. I also tried grabbing my laptop and accessing the site that way with no results. So the sites are not accessible on Firefox, IE8, Safari, WebOS (for the Palm Pre), or Firefox for Mac. I can access them on my Palm Pre, but only when connected to Sprint's internet network and not using my own WiFi Connection at home. So it sounds like it's my network that won't connect to that particular server, even though my connection to every other server is fine. As you can see I accessed this website just fine, and any other website for that matter.

I don't understand what's wrong, but if anyone here has any idea that may help me out with this situation I'd very much appreciate it. Thank you.

Advertisements

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Howdy UnderZenith. :)

It's possible your Hosts File is blocking these 2 sites.

1. Go to C:\Windows\System 32\Drivers\etc
2. Right-click on Hosts File and Untick Read Only
3. Double click on the Hosts File and open in Notepad
4. Press Ctrl + F
5. Type your first site into the search bar
6. Delete any entries it finds
7. Repeat for the second site
8. Save the Hosts File in its original file location and close it
9. Right-click on the Hosts File and retick Read Only
10. Open an Internet Browser and see if the pages load

Let me know if you have any success. :)

Edited by Robin Hood, 20 January 2010 - 02:28 PM.

UnderZenith

UnderZenith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the advice, I actually went a different route and contacted the server administrator.

Apparently when you try to edit something 5 times in under five minutes (with success or not) it auto-blocks you from the server. Everyone got a good laugh at me for doing something all of them would've done and then auto-block was lifted. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely come back if I have any issues :).