Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brain picker at large

• Please log in to reply

xrayspex

xrayspex

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum - I am totally clueless when it comes to web development... but I am a writer, artist and general all round creative, so I do have some worth!

Anyhoo, I was wondering how difficult it is to set up a sort of social networking site - I've got an idea brewing that could rival fb, and feel compelled to march ahead with it (oh dear... what am I letting myelf in for?)

I've managed to secure a domain name so far... but that's all.

Is this something I could learn through picking brains on forums such as this one,(I can think technically when pushed - I've got a BTEC in Electronics!) or should I get a pukka geek on board?

Thanks for your time,

I'm waiting in anticipation...

Edited by xrayspex, 15 January 2010 - 01:12 PM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You could start building your community with a forum. vBulletin and IPS are not free, but Simple Machines Forums and invisionfree etc are. Buliding the software for something like FB is not a starter project. Get a forum going, learn how to lead your group, then expand on your skills into the more complicated realm of custom programming.
Good luck!
Johanna

Alex_McIntosh

Alex_McIntosh

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Something like facebook requires a team of developers capable of using multiple langauges! Not easy task to do at all..

It needs constant updates and so on and will cost a lot of money.. But i agree with starting a forum, see how things go...