Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer crashes now

• Please log in to reply

dino velvet

dino velvet

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
A few days ago I tried to view an avi file with Windows Media player 11 and it crashed. Since then I have not been able to view any media files with WMP, and have been using Media Player Classsic instead. I normally use Opera as a browser but out of curiosity I tried to open Internet Explorer 8 and it crashes upon opening now as well. The only time I normally use IE now is to connect to Microsoft Update, which I cannot do now because IE crashes. The other programs on my computer run fine, just these Microsoft programs that are crashing now.

I have rebooted, but it makes no difference. I have uninstalled both IE8 & WMP 11 and tried just loading IE 7, but that also crashes upon opening.

I have checked for malware doing the following steps:
Ran Bitdefender online scanner, no malware.
Ran Malwarebyte scanner, no malware
Ran ESET online scanner, no malware
Ran SUPER Antispyware, removed a few adware items.
Ran TFC
Rebooted the computer again, still IE crashes regardless of which version I install.

The error message when IE crashes states:

The error signature states:
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 8.0.6001.18702 ModName: aclayers.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.5906 Offset: 0003d7fb

If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. Don't necessarily need to have IE & WMP working but its annoying that they aren't bescause they should be, if that makes sense. :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
See, if same thing happens in Safe Mode with Networking

Eventually....

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista, most likely, you won't need it).

dino velvet

dino velvet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks. IE still crashes when I try to launch it in Safe Mode w/ networking. I ran the sfc /scannow and had to insert my XP disc. Rebooted after but still IE crashes. Any other tips?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Since sfc asked for the CD, you had some system files corrupted. We'll never know, if everything was corrected.
Try IEFix: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

dino velvet

dino velvet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It definetely seems I have some corrupt/missing file(s) somewhere/somehow. I tried the IEFIX and it asked for the location of some files. I had to locate them and select them. However when IEFIX completed it gave me the message:
Error in iesetup.dll missing entry:IEAccessSysInst

I even tried a repair install of WINXP and even after all the updating & rebooting IE still crashes. This is with IE8 and WMP11.

Edited by dino velvet, 17 January 2010 - 02:42 PM.

dino velvet

dino velvet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
duplicate post

Edited by dino velvet, 17 January 2010 - 02:39 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try to uninstall IE8. It'll revert to IE7. See, if you have same problem.

dino velvet

dino velvet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
To remove IE8 I have to remove sp3 thru add/remove components first yes? When I tried that, I get a messsage a file was not found and sp3 cannot be removed.

Holy crap what a PITA. Thankfully I can use Opera/Firefox but... :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
At the end of the day, you can always back up your data and.....reinstall.
Sometimes, that's the only way.

dino velvet

dino velvet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
As a follow up and heads up to anyone else down the road using WinXP that suddenly have IE8 and WMP11 crash upon opening , I have found the problem I beleive.

Apparently the windows update KB955759 causes the problem. I found the issue in this thread and followed post #15 to uninstall KB955759 hotfix. I restarted and voila, IE & WMP work again. I was then able to connect to Windows update again. I checked for updates and redownloaded KB99579 for kicks and sure enough after rebooting, IE & WMP crash upon opening. Unistalled KB955759 and all is well again.

Unsure what if any increased vulnerabilty not installing this hotfix can pose to my computer but will research it and hopefully this helps someone else out! Googling this KB955759 update shows many similar stories to mine so Microsoft gets the middle finger from me for this one. :)

Edited by dino velvet, 22 January 2010 - 12:54 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Thanks for the update :)