Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound and unable to install ADI 198x Audio Driver!

• Please log in to reply

gjs5p

gjs5p

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I own a Dell Dimension 8300 pc with Creative LAbs 5.1 Audigy2 Audio Card and Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 video card.

I've installed the drivers for Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 drivers CD I got when I purchased this PC. I've also installed the latest patch/upgrade for this that I d/led from http://support.dell.com/support/dow...

I've also installed all the drivers that came with the Dell Dimension 8300 Drivers CD Rom. Even the newest Nvidia video driver from nvidia's website - because the older driver from the Dell Drivers CDROM that came with my pc was giving me lots of serious problems with the BSOD and the "nav4_disp" file..And that newer Nvidia seemed to have fixed it - i.e. no more screen blackouts and BSODs referring to the "nav4_disp" file.

There is however, an audio driver included with the cd-rom that I could not install. Its called the Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio driver, downloadable from http://support.dell.com/support/dow...

Its name is also called SoundMax.
Anyways, so everytime I try to install it with the Installshield Wizard, out pops the error message : "Driver not found! Reboot your system and run this setup again."

I've tried running the setup again and again and rebooting again and again, but still no joy.

I have no idea what is wrong, or what I can do to fix it. Whenever I play a video or a soundfile, there will just be no sound (although the programs for videos and music players appear to work fine with no error messages whatsoever).

Even when Windows XP starts up, the start-up melody doesn't even play.

And of course I've made sure my amps are switched on, and that the volume controls are all switched on and aren't muted, and that all the wires and connections are properly fitted, etc.. In fact I made sure no volume sources were muted. But still, no sound whatsoever.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong???

Advertisements