Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

intermittant boot

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
My primary PC has been getting squirrely. I thought it was becasue of OS corruption so I did a repair installation and when it boots it does run much better. However, it does not reliably boot to screen. Less than 25% of the time it properly boots when I hit the power button. Most of the time when I push the power button the power supply fan comes on, I hear and can feel the C: drive spin up but the CPU fan does not come on, the keyboard lights do not flash as they used to do and the monitor screen does not come up. When I press and hold the power button it will shut down.

Where do I start troubleshooting once I get it to bootup again?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I hear and can feel the C: drive spin up but the CPU fan does not come on, the keyboard lights do not flash as they used to do and the monitor screen does not come up

Is the power supply staying on?
If so your description sounds like a motherboard issue.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
The power supply fan continues to run and it give off heat until I press and hold the power button. I assume that it is running.

How would you suggest that I determine if it is the mobo? It obviously is not the power switch since it fires the power supply everytime. It was, at the the time it was originally built a pretty good MSI motherboard. I doubt the mobo is in production. Is there a way to cross reference my cpu and memory (everything else in integrated)with new mobo's so as to continue to use those components?

Edited by mlwjackson, 16 January 2010 - 03:26 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then i believe you are looking at a motherboard problem then with all the things that are not starting. They are all connected to the motherboard for information like the monitor, keyboard and mouse.