Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re-install XP that didnt come with CD(s)

• Please log in to reply

Soundsev3n

Soundsev3n

• Pip
  • 8 posts
If I've had an XP box for many years from some retailer that didn't come with disks, how do I go about re-installing XP?

No worries about backing-up files that I want to keep or any personal files or w/e. Just a complete re-install as if I just brought the computer home from the store.

I'd imagine once I've done it I can update windows and it's service packs etc?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Soundsev3n.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

Name brand system or a custom built?
If name brand what is the make and model?
Usually when no recovery disk are included then there will be a recovery partition on the drive.
Getting to it will depend on which system you have.

Soundsev3n

Soundsev3n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
"Compaq Presario 061" system from, oh i dunno... 7 years ago? lol
w/ Windows XP-sp2

[on a new note: if someone else has a windows CD thats the same version as mine (home edition) can i just use HIS disk with the product key on MY tower instead of the one on HIS CD case?]

[edit, sorry wrong brand name lol]

Edited by Soundsev3n, 16 January 2010 - 05:46 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try one of these

reboot and when you see the compaq logo hit F11 or F10

OldGrumpyMan

OldGrumpyMan

• Pip
  • 4 posts

"Compaq Presario 061" system from, oh i dunno... 7 years ago? lol
w/ Windows XP-sp2

[on a new note: if someone else has a windows CD thats the same version as mine (home edition) can i just use HIS disk with the product key on MY tower instead of the one on HIS CD case?]

[edit, sorry wrong brand name lol]

The answer is yes you can as long as the CD is of the same version (Home or Pro) and matching service packs you can use your valid product key to validate your installation. But if you have a recovery partition you may not have to do this at all (which as the first responder is pointing you at by pressing F10 or F11).

Soundsev3n

Soundsev3n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes F10 loaded a system recovery. Should I just follow those directions to re-install? (I figured I'd come back here real quick before I just followed the instructions)

So I guess forget the CD for now and go with the available sysrecovery on boot?

OldGrumpyMan

OldGrumpyMan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
That is a very viable option, IMO...But just in case don't throw away the CD option for a fresh installation...

Soundsev3n

Soundsev3n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the help so far, leaving to get the disk now. back in about 30 mins.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you want to do a full recovery then yes just follow the instructions. It will take the system back to what it was like fresh from the factory.
Let us know how it all works for you.

Soundsev3n

Soundsev3n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've completed the system restore (ended up going with the disk) and it seems to have gone without error. Durring the process itself anyway...

However when I open "MyComputer", Drive c:\ is smaller than it used to be. here's a screen shot to show you what i mean...

Posted Image

do the disks need to be divided into 5 partitions? can i make it three? there isnt even enough room left on "c:\" to install service pack and updates!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It looks like you have 3 separate (physical) disk drives in the computer. Is this true? You may have to open the case to verify.

I believe that all you did was install a 2nd copy of the OS and did not remove the original OS. And since the C drive is 3.19gb, I suspect that that used to be the restore partition.

When you boot up are you given a choice of which OS to boot to?

Soundsev3n

Soundsev3n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't know why it happened, you may way to address it incase this thread comes up in someones future search results and they want to know why.

Software found on the internet was able to safely merge disk partitions and solved my partition problem.
"EASEUS Partition Master 4.1.1 Home Edition" was what I used.

What I did w/ EASUS:
If the files in the second unwanted partition are backed up (or deleted because they're useless to you) the unwanted partition is "deleted" leaving an open unused space on the HDD. The remaining partiton can be expanded to take up the rest of the disk without formatting or disturbing files on the wanted partition. (Does this make sense? o_O lol)

So if your looking at the image I posted above... the files on partition (f:) were found to be useless and wiped out by deleting (f:), and (c:) was able to expand and take up the entire disk that (c:) and (f:) were on.

So as far as my original post issue, AND the issue that came up during the restore... everything is taken care of.

Thanks a lot to everyone who helped out!! Now I just need free anti-virus protection of some kind until I can purchase something serious.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)

Soundsev3n

Soundsev3n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I will def be adding geeks2go.com to my recommendations for friends in trouble.

=D

(I do have a question about my copy of Windows XP. By purchasing this computer so many years ago, I obviously got a copy of XP. Say this computer is trashed next year or something, an thrown in the garbage or ripped up for parts... assuming I keep the microsoft product key sticker from the tower, can I use it on another computer once this one is gone or destroyed? I guess, does that product code make that copy of XP mine to use on one computer at a time whenever and where ever?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually that is a iffy subject. According to Microsoft's EULA since the OS was preinstalled it is considered a OEM and therefor it is forever married to the original system. This would mean you need to purchase a new copy.