Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Download restrictions

• Please log in to reply

Kristina

Kristina

• PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Hi!

I have been having trouble with my Internet download speed. I have recently moved to a broadband VDSL 20 Mbs connection. However, doing a speed test, it only gets to as much as 5-6 Mbs. I have called my Internet provider dozens of times, they have checked the settings at their place and mine, they've changed the old electric wires, they've changed the modem. The Internet speed remained basically the same.

Also I do not have any other computer or device installed on the Internet line. It just shares the phone connection, but according to the provider this doesn't interfere with the speed in the case of VDSL.

Now after all the struggle they say it must be something on my computer that's limiting my download speed...They say the proof is that when I start more downloads the overall speed increases, so I must have an individual download limit...

Could that be possible? What kind of settings could be limiting the download speed on my computer? Is it possible that the computer being older is the fault (the hard is from 2002 I think)? I don't know what settings I could check to find out where the problem is.

Thanks very much in advance!

Edited by Kristina, 16 January 2010 - 06:55 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Who is the internet provider?
The speed of the computer or the age of the computer is irrelevant with regards to broadband speed. I had a 1996 computer that was perfectly capable of using a 2Mbps broadband connection to its full potential.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
The service provider is Romanian company Romtelecom.
They say there must be a download limitation on my computer, some kind of setting I need to check...

Edited by Kristina, 17 January 2010 - 05:23 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is no such thing as a "download limitation" on a default installation of any version of Windows.
You might want to check the terms and conditions of your internet in case it includes the immortal phrase "up to 20Mb".

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
I thought this explanation might be a manner to escape my complains.

However, maybe the default settings of Windows were somehow changed accidentally. Are there any Windows settings I could check regarding my Internet download speed?

If not, then I'll surely recontact them in regard to the terms of their contract.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Problem solved! I kept thinking what could limit the speed...it appears it was my TuneUp Utilities program, which had remained with the setting fixed for my old connection, that was only 2Mbps.

Nothing wrong indeed with my ISP, they were right. Luckily I figured things out before eventually nagging them about the contract.:)