Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replace on/off switch in desktop

• Please log in to reply

Fixer99

Fixer99

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have a good case that had the on/off switch go bad in it. I couldn't find any information about replacing the switch in the past, but kept the case. Now I've found that I can buy a new switch at Radio Shack.

http://www.radioshac...oductId=2062508

It's a "Momentary Switch". I checked out how it works with my ohmmeter, and compared the switch I bought with a known good switch on another computer. The button is spring loaded, and lets power flow through the switch when the button is depressed. When the button is released, no power flows through the switch. If the button is held down for an extended period of time, then the computer shuts off. The motherboard senses a surge of momentary power when the button is pressed, and turns the computer on. If the connection stays on, then the computer shuts off.

You need to drill a hole somewhere for the switch to be mounted, and solder the wires onto the switch. The switch cost $2.49 dollars. I didn't want to buy a new case.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
And what are you asking?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
He's just giving fixs in different topics for things he has come across.
He has a couple of topics already posted.