Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cryptic XP Error Message

• Please log in to reply

roadagent

roadagent

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,
I was trying to install a Photo Shop plug-in from a CD and when I clicked on the Install button, it got this error message "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Months ago I successfully installed this plug-in on an earlier version of PS. I also successfully installed this plug-in on this same version of PS on my friend's laptop.

When I search my C drive for AUTOEXEC.NT, the only place it is located is in "C:\WINDOWS\repair". I copied AUTOEXEC.NT from my XP boot CD to the SYSTEM32 directory and rebooted but this didn't help. Apparently some file is damaged??? Any suggestions short of reinstalling XP greatly appreciated!

I also got the same error when I tried to run a typing program I downloaded from the Internet. I dismissed the error message at that time thinking the program wasn't compatible with XP.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

XP Fix 2 down

To replace the system files click start then run then type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and it just goes off when done

Edited by Keith, 18 May 2005 - 01:07 AM.

roadagent

roadagent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
To Keith,
I did your suggestions in reverse. I ran sfc /scannow first but was out of the room when it finished. No messages of any kind on the display. I tried to install the plug-in but got the same errotr message. I did a search for AUTOEXEC.NT but it didn't get copied from the CD??? I ran sfc again and this time watched the progress bar and CD drive. The access light blinked periodically as the program ran. Like you stated, it finished without giving any indication. Another search and still no AUTOEXEC.NT file installed???

I then ran xp_fix "without" my XP boot CD in the drive and it displayed a message stating the missing files have been fixed. This time AUTOEXEC.NT was in the system32 folder. I can only assume it got it from the "repair" directory and did some "under the hood magic. I was able to successfully install the PS plug-in this time.

Thank you very much for your succinct solution/answer and prompt reply. It is very much appreciated. I wonder now if it was necessary to run sfc at all?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
sfc /scannow has mixed results but worth running just to check and rule a few things out. Some have said installing the XP Fix was not so straightforward.

Thank you for letting me know