Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD's

• Please log in to reply

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hello people,

Once again I am back to the familiar territory of GTG forums.

I need some help please

I have a laptop, that has been on day and night, including the charger plugged in for about 2-3 weeks now. I do switch it off and on now and again and yes, i realise it is extremely bad for the PC.

However, came home today, was surfing the net (Wi-Fi from Laptop to Router, from laptop to PC via LAN, long story)
and boom, BSOD

On a desktop PC, i normally check memory, and this thread http://www.geekstogo...er-t197293.html confirmed that some of the BSOD's are memory.

The first one i got was BAD_POOL_HEADER, after that... PAGE_IN_NOT_PAGED_AREA (if i remember correctly)

The Safe Mode option takes quite a while to load, hanging at the MUP.sys screen for a while (10min)

When it's booted into Safe Mode, the laptop doesn't go into My Computer, freezes, the XP Installation Disk doesn't work either, tellingme i either have to restart the PC or some file is corrupt. Booting from CD works until you get to the "Starting Windows" part, then it BSOD's again...

Some forums suggest HDD, some memory... I don't have any spares and the PC doesn't boot at all so i can't run any programs.

Any ideas?

Much Appreciated guys...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I do switch it off and on now and again and yes, i realise it is extremely bad for the PC

My system stays on 24\7 and has for 8 years now.

You need to test the memory and the hd to see where the actual problem lies.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Um,

I MIGHT have deleted all the partitions last night in a last effort attempt at showing my great computer skillz to my girlfriend :/

So now i got no more safe mode...

I have however ordered a 512mb stick of memory (because it only had 512mb anyway) and it should be here by next week sometime.

After i formatted everything, i tried reinstalling windows, but it came up with quite a few 'missing' files that we're actually there. Yet again making me think it's bad sectors on the HDD.

Can i run the BSOD program without Safe Mode?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope you have to be in Windows to run it.
Since there is a question about the hd then lets test it to make sure.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

http://usasma.vox.co...iagnostics.html

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
rshaffer61, thanks for the help. I am not ignoring this topic.

I know i seem to be 'ignoring' you rinstructins but i found an ubuntu disk (Another user has theexact same issue with the exact same laptop and he can install Linux) so i ran the memtest... it's taking forever and it's found a few errors already. Actually ALOT of errors.

Just wanted to give an update. Will keep posting...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Memtest finding errors means bad memory. :)
You will need to replace the memory because it may still be the root of the BSOD's.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
The memory i ordered is on it's way. I'm not to sure how memtest works but i got a column called errors and one called pass. the errors one is packed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep you got the basic information you need from memtest. Errors are bad and that's all you have to see is one error. That one error can be the root of all your problems.
I'm glad to see you have new memory coming and hopefully you will have it quickly and everything will then work as it should.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Thanks for the help. Even if i sort of did my own thing during the entire time and didn't follow any of your advice :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem if that is what you did. Only way to learn is to do so I hope i did help in some way.
Let me know if there is anything else we can do and I will continue to monitor this topic just in case.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Thanks,

memtest has been going for 40hours now and i am just leaving until it's done (Or until the memory has arrived in the post)

Should be tis weekend or Monday but i will let you nkow i it was the memory or not.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Thanks,

memtest has been going for 40hours now and i am just leaving until it's done (Or until the memory has arrived in the post)

Should be this weekend or Monday but i will let you know i it was the memory or not.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Thanks,

Should be this weekend or Monday but i will let you know i it was the memory or not.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Thanks,