Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE8/IE7 Issue

• Please log in to reply

njmarknj

njmarknj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I inserted the CD (Operating system - Windows XP) that Dell gave me when i bought this computer.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Does it have Dell logo on it, or Microsoft logo?

njmarknj

njmarknj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Dell Logo..and it's no longer under warranty

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
That CD won't do. You'd need full version Windows XP CD.
The problem is, you have Media Center Edition Version.
To run "sfc", you'd need Windows XP Media Center Edition CD with exact service pack as installed on your computer (SP3, I can see).
So, unless you have that CD, "sfc" won't work.
I'm not sure, what's your best option at this moment.
Live without IE, or clean Windows reinstall?

njmarknj

njmarknj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, I thank you for your time..I suppose I am screwed.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I hoped, I had better news for you :)

njmarknj

njmarknj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Again, I thank you. What pisses me off the most is my friend insisted I upgrade to IE8..I said, "No, no no, heard nothing but problems." But he insisted he would help me through it and I capitulated. IE8 was a disaster and when we tried to revert back to IE7..absolutely nothing! And I need IE to get other things to work like my compuserve mail browser. Again, thanks. Should have gone with my first instincts.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I understand your frustration....

One more thing, you may try...
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Kyler_IE8_Team

Kyler_IE8_Team

• Pip
  • 7 posts
IE8 is faster, and safer than IE 7. It is also compatible with more sites than any other browser. If you are concerned with the way IE 8 will interact with sites you are visiting, you will be pleased to hear about a new feature that comes with IE 8 called Compatibility Mode which allows you to view sites as they would appear in IE 6 or IE 7, with the added security and speed of IE 8.

Kyler
IE 8 Outreach Team