Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer shuts down

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Like I mentioned disconnect power from all drives. That will eliminate them as the source of the sound. Turn system on and if sound still happens it is one of possible 3 fans.
PSU
CPU
Secondary case fan

Advertisements

gold_y

gold_y

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
i'll see what it is and since you already gave me the fixes,I may not post a reply but thanks a lot anyway.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it would be nice if you could post the results as it might help someone down the road with the same problem.

gold_y

gold_y

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
you mentioned dusty CPU fan.Could it mean the problem may have been caused by me having left the side panel open for a while??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Could be if the fan is not turning at the correct speed and it is really bad to where the bearings have dried up or covered in enough dust that the fan will not start right away.
When you turn a system on the fans should start immediately and if they hesitate for a moment you might hearing a grinding or screeching as the internal of the fan starts but the external fin part is not moving.

gold_y

gold_y

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
ok then i 'll look to cover it up after cleaning the fan.That should fix the problem as the side panel has been open for a while and am sure it would fix the problem

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The only way to tell is to blow everything out with a can of compressed air. If the fins on the fan are still covered use a Q-tip to clean them out.
Also make sure the vents on the PSI are cleaned out good as that will create a overheating issue as well as cause the PSU fan to have the same issue.

gold_y

gold_y

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
vents on PSI??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry the vents on the Power Supply Unit . They can become coated in dust and can cause the power supply to overheat and not be able to exhaust the hot air inside the system.