Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with computer can no longer get internet..

• Please log in to reply

jess_bixl

jess_bixl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone I need some major help!

My computer has been acting up from time to time it would just freeze up for no reason and I couldn't move the mouse ( I use an optical mouse), even the time on the computer would just freeze up when it froze.. This has been going on for a few weeks now with it freezing.. I know my computer is clean of viruses and malware because I used a virus scan (avast antivirus) and I used super anti spyware to clean it out, still no luck..

Well now, the signal strenght on the computer (signal strenght for the wireless connection) has disappeared and I can no longer get on the internet.. Before it went out the internet kept going on and off on the computer, then it just completely went out..

I cant even open the connections manager on it, it refuese to open..I even went and bought a new networking card and tried to install it with no luck, it didn't work :) I am confused..Would a system restore fix this? or if not, would a reformatting fix it? I really don't want to have to take my computer in cuz I know that will cost an arm and a leg to get it fixed, so I'm hoping to fix it at home for free.. Incase anyone is wondering I have a d link networking card and router (which has been acting up too).

Also, my computer is only 2-3 years old, so it's not that old..I have a dell not sure on the model number but thats all I can say is that it's a dell (desktop computer not a laptop), and I use windows xp, and firefox..

I know nothing on how to back up files, so I hope I don't have to reformat it and lose everything I have on it..

**Tried to do a system resotre, but it failed to fix the problem..

Thank you for your time looking at this and I hope this can be solved..

Edited by jess_bixl, 17 January 2010 - 04:18 PM.

Advertisements

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Do the problems exist in safe mode as well?

Germando