Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scanning process

• Please log in to reply

marvo5

marvo5

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi, I have a problem with a very slow running computer. In the task manager it says the scanning process is using 172,000K of my virtual memory. I stop the process, it just starts up again. I don't care what it does, I just want to get rid of it. Can anybody help?

PS: I also have a process called MsMpEng.exe which is using up a further 60,000k of virtual memory. I wouldn't mind getting rid of that as well.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The msmpeng.exe process is used by the Microsoft Windows Defender to perform spyware scanning procedures. When Windows Live OneCare is installed in your computer, the msmpeng.exe file is also automatically saved in your computer.

I take it you have Microsoft Defender running on your system?

marvo5

marvo5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes I do, though i don't know if I need to as I have PC Guard from Virgin!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need a
AV
Malware
Spyware
Firewall

That is all that is really needed to give you protection.
One Av and Firewall is suggested as more then one of either can cause serious problems.
There are several free alternatives that are a lot less resource hogs which will help speed your system up.

marvo5

marvo5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Well my PCGuard has a anti-virus and a firewall. I also have spyware blaster/guard plus Malwarebytes. Maybe I can switch the defender off?

Will that help with my scanning process problem?

marvo5

marvo5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Well my PCGuard has a anti-virus and a firewall. I also have spyware blaster/guard plus Malwarebytes. Maybe I can switch the defender off?

Will that help with my scanning process problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes turning off Defender will probably rid you of the process problem.
Also since you are using the PC Guard firewall did you disable the Windows firewall?
Also if you are experiencing slowing you may have to many autoruns going. I can take a look at them if you can do the following for me.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

marvo5

marvo5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Okay, I'll do that in the morning (it's 1am here). Thanks very much for all your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and I will check on this topic in the morning. Good night :) :)

marvo5

marvo5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Sorry, struggling with this. I have done what you asked but am unable to upload the file as the system says I have not selected a file to upload. (I have)

Meanwhile I do NOT have Windows defender on my PC (It's on my laptop)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To attach a file, do the following:
* Click Add Reply and not the Fast Reply
* Under the reply panel where you type your reply is the Attachments Panel to the Right
* Browse for the attachment file you want to upload and double click it, then click the Green Upload button
* Once it has uploaded, you will see a message to the left that says Your file upload was successful
* Click on to Add Reply lower down on the page

marvo5

marvo5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Good morning.

Yep, done all that but after waiting while the system is loading it comes up with a white cross in a red box saying You did not select a file to upload. The file I selected is called autoruns.arn.

Meanwhile back on the ranch, I did find windows defender and have got rid of it. The windows firewall is also turned off. The scannersprocess is still using 172,000 virtual memory and I'm wondering as this is an old computer with only 256mg of RAM, could there just be too much going on for it to cope?

marvo5

marvo5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Have done a bit more research on this and it seems that it is my PC Guard that is causing the problems. I think it may be worth my while getting rid of it and replacing it with another anti-virus/firewall. Any suggestions as which is the best way to go?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Good morning.

Yep, done all that but after waiting while the system is loading it comes up with a white cross in a red box saying You did not select a file to upload. The file I selected is called autoruns.arn.

Meanwhile back on the ranch, I did find windows defender and have got rid of it. The windows firewall is also turned off. The scannersprocess is still using 172,000 virtual memory and I'm wondering as this is an old computer with only 256mg of RAM, could there just be too much going on for it to cope?

File is named wrong that is why. Reread the steps for the program starting at step 5. The file needs to be saved as a TXT file and then it will attach.

I think it may be worth my while getting rid of it and replacing it with another anti-virus/firewall. Any suggestions as which is the best way to go?

Below is my configuration:
AV is Avast
Malware is Malwarebytes
Spyware is SuperAntispyware
Firewall is Windows

I have been running this same combination for almost a year now and have had no problems. You may also see the speed of your system increase since the system resources will be freed up.

marvo5

marvo5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Sorry, me very stupid. :) File now attached.

I've jumped the gun a bit. Got rid of PC Guard and downloaded Avast but have downloaded zone alarm as a firewall. Already have Malwarebytes (how often am I supposed to use it?) and will download superAntispyware on your recommendation as soon as I've posted this. (again, how often should I use it please?)

The scaning process has disappeared and the computer is responding much quicker. I'm a very happy chappy. :)

PS: Can the Malware and spyware be set to run a check automatically without prompt?

Attached Files