Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP crash, hal.dll, ipnat.sys

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do the sfc /scannow steps from post # 14 and let me know what the results are please.
If that doesn't work we can try the Repair Installation
Hopefully the first will fix the issue.

Advertisements

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
so the "sfc /scannow" will actually scan my Windows system files to see if one or more files are corrupt?

does it take a long time to scan? (1 hour and more)

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok i tried what you told me, and then later it asked me to insert the "Windows XP Professional" CD, which i don't have since i have Windows XP SP2, standard edition, not Professional.

i tried anyway with my Windows XP SP2 CD, and it said wrong CD inserted.

Edited by RaptorZX3, 19 January 2010 - 08:31 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you try the other method of the instructions of changing the path of the sfc /scannow to look for the files it needs?
Lower part of the instructions.

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok first time i started the scan, it asked me for the CD, i inserted it and it says i have the wrong disc, i clicked to see more details and i remember it said something about "cache" or something. since i had the wrong CD, i clicked "cancel" and it asked me if i wanted to ignore this file for now, i clicked yes. Then it didn't asked me for the CD again.

Then i decided to scan again to see if it will ask me for the CD again, it did not, it scanned until the end and never asked me for the CD (it was in the drive all this time).

So i'll reboot my PC and see if all goes fine still...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok I will wait to see your results

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i rebooted my PC, i saw a Windows blue screen saying "please wait..." for a second, and it booted normally afterward, when it finished loading stuff, i rebooted again just to make sure.

Then i checked my control panel - system, and the version i have says:

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002 (it DOES says "Version 2002" on my Windows XP SP2 disc, copyrighted in 2004, OEM)
Service Pack 3

So why the SFC asked me to insert the Windows XP Professional CD the first time i was running it? (keep in mind that from both scans, it only asked this once and at the beginning of that first scan).

All i did, at the beginning when i installed XP, was installing all the available critical/essential patches for XP, including SP3 (excluding Internet Explorer since i just hate that software...

Edited by RaptorZX3, 19 January 2010 - 09:33 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So the system is now booting correctly if i am reading this correctly?

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
The PC always booted correctly, even before doing the SFC or switching RAM sticks in my computer!

I said many times that i might suspect uTorrent client to somewhat cause XP to crash, not the files being downloaded causing XP to crash...

i never got a message saying this or that file is corrupt, never.

That's why i previously said that uTorrent might be the cause of the BSODs. I remember installing an Alpha version of uTorrent, v2.1 Alpha i think, and then using it until my computer got a BSOD once. I also remember my 2nd computer crashing a lot with that version (i installed this v2.1 alpha on both computers), then i decided to uninstall this version on both computers and go back to "stable" v1.8.5 release. My 2nd computer didn't had any more BSOD since then, but my main computer yes.

So i hope this SFC scan did helped.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
My honest and official suggestion is to uninstall Utorrent.
If it is causing the issue then getting rid of it will get rid of the issue.
I can't suggest anything more then that as we both agree the culprit is Utorrent so you need to uninstall it.

Advertisements

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
what i would do is use another torrents client instead..., i'll finish downloading what i need to download, and then i'll use my 2nd computer for downloads, which have a new 640gb HDD in it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am not allowed to help with that. We don't support the use of P2P so if that is the only issue left is what program then Your issue has been resolved.

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i hope so.

But one thing's bothering me. Why the SFC asked me (it only asked me once, then at the 2nd scan i did afterward, it didn't asked me) for the "Windows XP Professional" CD, when the installed Windows XP version on my computer is the "Home" one?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure why other then it may have been a hiccup with the system.
Try this and post the results.
Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show
System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory
I need all the above info in your next reply Except for Register name and number.
This is private and we don't need to know this information

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i might try doing the SFC scan again later. So far i didn't get any BSOD.

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Computer: AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor
3700+
2.20GHz, 2,00Gb RAM

Edited by RaptorZX3, 20 January 2010 - 06:39 AM.