Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backing up email folders and address book

• Please log in to reply

huffty

huffty

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi All

I am using Microst Outlook on XP Home edition, there is a real possibility I will have to format my hard drives and reinstall windows and I need to retain my email folders and address book. I have exported my personal folders to an external hard drive as a .pst file. When I checked to see if it was there I found the file but my computer did not recognise this .pst file, my worry is that if I do have to format I will not be able to open or use the file to restore my email documents.

Can anyone please advise me

Many thanks

Steve

Edited by huffty, 18 January 2010 - 06:24 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest backing up your data and format the system. This way you can start with nothing but the native OS and try the videos before installing any other programs. If you want to save your Outlook's address's and Messages then go HERE and follow the steps.

If Email does not open or says not default mail handler then go HERE

Can I ask why you may have to format?

huffty

huffty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi Rshaffer61

I have some virus issues that one of your very helpful guys is trying to resolve in the virus section of the forum, as directed I ran a combofix which detected infected win32 system files, it must have deleted them as when the computer rebooted to finish combofix I was presented with the product key request which I entered but was not accepted, after a telephone call Microsoft confirmed I have a vailid product (XP Home 2005) and vailid key, they gave me a new key which did not work either, I can get into windows in safe mode but not normally. I have spoken to the computer manufacturer after direction from Microsoft who tell me I will have to do a system recovery which I take as a format. I have tried to do this but the system recovery will not run, its looking pretty bleak.

Many thanks

Steve

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
System Recovery is usually the terminology used by branded systems. A Recovery normally can have two ways of doing it.
Destructive which will completely format and return your system tot he way it was brand new
Non Destructive is like a repair installation and normally will repair or replace corrupted or missing system files. This should leave your data and programs intact.
You don't mention what type of system you have.
Laptop or Desktop
If branded what make and model
There is also a possibility if you are using a Recovery Disk that a repair will not be a option and then you would need ot borrow a Genuine XP Installation disk of the same type you have installed on your system...Home, Media Center or Pro
With that we could attempt a Repair Installation or even a Parallel Installation. Either should keep your current programs and data intact and safe.
If there is data you need to save let me know and i will supply you with the instructions on how to download and create a Linux Live CD which boots into memory and should allow you to backup your important data files.

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 January 2010 - 08:55 AM.

huffty

huffty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi

I have a Compaq Pressario 5500UK desktop it was preinstalled on purchase with Windows XP home edition in 2004, I do not have any discs, to be honest I cannot remember if I had any when I bought the machine as it was quite a few years ago now, but I do not have any anyway.

I have tried to source a XP disc but nobody I know has one.

Thanks for the offer of Linux, I have backed up all my important documents to an external drive.

As I do not have my operating system on a disc, if I did a destructive format I am assuming I will need to get a new operating system, might I be better off as the computer is old just getting a new one?

Many thanks

Steve

Edited by huffty, 18 January 2010 - 09:08 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Being a Compaq the recovery partition should be there on the hard drive. If you use the recovery partition then everything should be there once you are done.
To get to Recovery Partition try this:
Reboot and when you see the compaq logo hit F10

huffty

huffty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi Rshaffer61

I have tried to start the recovery console (F10) ,exactly as you have suggested I finish up with a black screen that asks:

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which windows installation would you like to log onto
(To cancel press ENTER)?

The guy at Compaq/HP tech help did not know what to enter here and could not help further, he suggested buying a new computer.

Many thanks

Steve

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Click the number that corresponds to your windows which in your case looks like 1

huffty

huffty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi

I have tried but nothing happens, I get a new line saying:
C:\WINDOWS>

Many thanks

Steve

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see you are in the recovery console.
There should have been other options when you first entered into the Recovery Partition
You probably pushed R which takes you to the recovery console.

huffty

huffty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi

I have not pressed the R button....honest.

I started up pressing F10 repeatedly, then get a choice of xp or windows recovery and curser up to recovery press enter and then presented with the black screen described earlier.

I have just posted a OTL log on my virus problem thread, I can post a link here if you wish to see it, I am not sure if I am allowed to do that.

Many thanks

Steve

Edited by huffty, 18 January 2010 - 01:09 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK, then it looks like a new disk is needed.
You may have to contact the manufacturer of your system to try and purchase a Recovery Disk

huffty

huffty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I will give that a try before giving up and buying new.

Thank you for taking the time and for your help.

Kind regards

Steve

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and please let us know what happens.
If they can not provide a Recovery disk then you could just borrow a disk from someone of the same type you had on the system originally and we can try to load it that way. Your reg key should be on the bottom of the system with the original OS type.