Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External hard-drive for laptop

• Please log in to reply

runo

runo

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi all,

I have a laptop, has a capacity of storing 40gb information. I use almost all of it and i need to install other software. I don't want to uninstall software from my laptop. I plan to get an external hard-drive. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you get an external hard drive, be aware that it's not suggested to use it for installing software. it WILL cause issues. if at any point the drive becomes unavailable, so will your apps.

runo

runo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
So what should I do?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
identify what's taking up all of your space, uninstall things, delete things, etc.. if you've also got a lot of DATA (documents, pictures, music) you could move those to an external hard drive to free up space...it's just not recommended to install software on an external drive (and in most cases it's actually pointless as the bulk of the application still gets installed on the main hard drive whether you want it to or not)

push comes to shove you could replace the laptop harddrive with a bigger internal one, but you'd have to have your system disks to get the OS back on and you'd have to reinstall everything

runo

runo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
It seems to me. Changing the laptop's internal hard-drive is permanent solution.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
until you fill it back up

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You can also get the larger drive and use the drive manufacturers software to transfer an image, or clone the old drive to the new drive.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
assuming that the manufacturer's software has that ability (which a lot do)...or you can buy an imaging package like acronis true image (or others) that allow for disk cloning. just make sure whatever it is allows you to clone to a different sized hard drive, some require the drive to be the same size

also...this might be a little difficult to do since this is a laptop...you'd have to hook the new drive up in a USB enclosure to do the clone then load it up into the laptop as the primary drive once you get the old one out

runo

runo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Can you give little more detail about the cloning the disk?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
disk cloning will allow you to copy the full contents of one hard drive to another...which would reduce the need for you to install everything again. it basically makes an exact duplicate of ever single piece of info on one drive to another.

with a desktop this is relatively easy. you simply mount a new drive inside the case and do the clone then remove the old drive....with a laptop you can't do that as you can't put another drive in the computer. so you'd have to either A: take the old hard drive out and install the new one. then mount the old one in a USB enclosure and clone it to the new drive that's inside the laptop or B: the opposite (mount the new drive in the USB enclosure then clone the old drive to it then swap them out)

runo

runo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Just to be make sure this drive is an external drive, isn't it? If I get an external drive do you think it will cause problems when I install new programs?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you install programs on an external drive then yes you will have problems

the situation i described above would only require you to hook up a drive externally to accomplish the drive cloning process...after that you would then replace the internal drive with the external drive