Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hard Drive Install

• Please log in to reply

littlecheda

littlecheda

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I've decided to install a new hard drive, I need the network adapter and downloaded the adapters to a floppy disk, using the virus infected computer to download. Is it possible for the downloads to be infected with the virus/trojan. I don't want to install the adpaters on my new hard drive, if there is a chance of them being infected.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the make and model of your system or is it a custom build?
If custom then what motherboard do you have?
If you download to the infected system and it has not been cleaned then yes there is a possibility you could infect any files that are downloaded.

littlecheda

littlecheda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I've decided to hold off on the new hd install, I found the problem with my old hard drive. The problem was with my anti-virus program, there was an updated version available, I downloaded it, and in the process it removed the old program. My computer now has 58.2 gb available out of 74.4 gb. It is up and running smoothly. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes I just read that in your original topic. I am very happy you were able to find the Av was the problem. :) :) :) Great detective work on your side.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Evidently the AV update got rid of all the "common files" that were taking up all the space. It was great that you figured that out.

123runner