Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Virus? Who knows? Can't Scan! :)

• Please log in to reply

Jwarne

Jwarne

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hey Guys,

I attempted to open Limewire a month ago--first mistake, I know--and noticed it froze my computer whenever I opened it. I then noticed that whenever I played music downloaded per paid subscription to Napster in windows media player it would freeze at somepoint, 3 or 4 minutes into my first song. I tried to do a trendmicro housecall scan over the internet and it froze while trying to install it. I downloaded Avira Antivir and tried to do a scan and it froze. I tried to log into safe mode and do a scan there and it froze at 21% while searching its own directory. Every time I've run the scan, it freezes around 20-23%. No detections are made up to that point.

I can serve the web for days with no freezing, until I'm running a virus scan or listening to my subscription music. Not quite sure what's going on. Please let me know if you want me to run the hijackthis program and post it.

Advertisements

Jwarne

Jwarne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
P.S.

I forgot to mention that I followed the steps in your pre-check list.

TFC, cleaned my files then when I hit exit, had the green bar running for five minutes but would not do anything else. I had to restart, same thing second time.

ERUNT, froze.

NTREGOPT, successful.

Malwarebytes, ran on quickscan fine in less than six minutes with zero detections. Ran on full scan, it scanned 20,000 in twenty minutes but slowed down to 27,000 files at 57 minutes. It began running so slow it scanned a GIF file in a minute and a half, so I rebooted. It would not close on its own.

GMER, froze.

OTL, i coped the text you said and didn't change the settings but the profile didn't do anything when I hit quick scan. It wasn't frozen, it just didn't do anything.