Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Logs In Then Immediately Logs Off

• Please log in to reply

axit

axit

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Recently my xp desktop became infected. After running McAfee & Spybot I thought I had solved my problems but instead when I rebooted I found that I am unable to log into windows. 3 Users click to login, the desktop background flashes on the screen then logs back off to the main screen.

I tried safe mode, same result

After reading similiar threads in the forums, I tried the following

c:\windows\system32 copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe I received the notice that it was copied, same result. system will not log in

After further reading I found many people had success with booting up with windows xp cd then going to the recovery console and using this.

expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32

this did not do anything for me. Actually when running the recovery console from the cd the computer was unable to find anything on my c drive. However, I have seen that since service pack 3 I think, that the recovery console comes up evertyime I normally boot up. So I booted as normal, but chose the console instead of windows xp. I was able to go ahead and use

expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32 It worked, I gave ok to override restarted and still get the logon logoff loop.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most likely you will need to use a XP cd to reinstall windows on the computer.

SRX660

axit

axit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Even though I am running service pack 3, can I still use my original cd to repair windows?

rdnk71

rdnk71

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
you can try the repair. but I think you may have malware on your computer I have seen the logon and logoff before. When you login next time hold the ctrl key down until windows boots. when you hold the key down it bypasses the startup files in the run in the registry..

D Burkard

D Burkard

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a friend's computer doing the same thing ... Windows XP SP3

I took out the HD and scanned it using current definitions from AVG and Spyware Doctor's combo malware & AV product ... there were no hits on the drive ...

Looking for any other ideas about what happened ...

rdnk71

rdnk71

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
have you tried to go into safe mode

D Burkard

D Burkard

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a friend's computer doing the same thing ... Windows XP SP3

Tried logging in under all 5 profiles (3 users and 2 admin accounts)
Tried logging in via all safe mode profiles & accounts
Tried resetting to last known good

I took out the HD and scanned it using current definitions from AVG and Spyware Doctor's combo malware & AV product ... there were no hits on the drive for malware or viruses ...

Looking for any other ideas about what &/or why this is happening ...

Edited by D Burkard, 20 January 2010 - 01:01 PM.

rdnk71

rdnk71

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
have you tried to hold the (ctrl) key down after you login to the computer. by doing this it will bypass the startup in the registry. you will have to hold it down ad soon as you login and keep it help down until it is fully booted. make sure the hard drive has stopped making alot of noise before letting go of the (ctrl) button. this might let you in to windows so we can do some diagnostics.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: D Burkard

Please start your own topic as this topic is axit's.
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

rdnk71 you are welcome to assist but please don't use another users topic to help in. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.