Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help regarding upgrading RAM

• Please log in to reply

ilovesharpei

ilovesharpei

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello! I have a 2 year old Dell desktop computer. With Vista it runs really slow. I have 2 sticks of RAM currently in the desktop. I don't know much about RAM but I know I need more. The 2 sticks I have now are labeled as follows: 512MB 1RX8 PC2-5300u-555-12-D0. It appears to be DDR2 RAM

If I want to replace, do I need to replace with the same 1RX8 PC2-5300-555-12-D0? Or, can I just look for the best price of any DDR2 RAM that are 1GB each (I do know I have to have 2 equal amounts of RAM in my desktop).

Or, can I just add 2 more 512MB of 1RX8 PC2-5300u-555-12-D0 to increase? Not sure what the best route is. I don't want to spend to much money but I need more speed :-)

Where is the best place to buy RAM for a good price (but good quality)?
Thanks in advance!
Ilovesharpei

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
With DDR2 you don't need to have two lots of identical RAM (ie 2 x1Gb). It will work with just one stick.
Crucial.com have an online scanner that you can use that will tell you how much memory the system has, what it uses and how much it'll take. You can then buy some memory from there guaranteed to work or your money back.

Nyy8

Nyy8

• Pip
  • 4 posts
for DDR2 it can be differnt ram. I think your PC has 4 slots so up to 4 gigs of ram but XP will only useable 3G I think it is