Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

disk space

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have a way that we can get a little wiggle room so we can use some programs.

*To delete older restore points, but leave the system restore turned on:
Go to start/ My computer/ right Click the Drive in question/Properties/Disk Cleanup/More
Options tab on the next window/ System Restore/Cleanup.*

Then lets alter the amount of space used for restore points. It is probably at default of 12%.

Go to start/ run/ type in sysdm.cpl/ at click on ok.
On the system restore tab near the middle (right side) is settings. Click on settings.
Bring the slider down to about 6-7%.

Get us another screen shot of computer management (instructions in post 3)

I suspect that you have more than just programs left on that drive. This is based on what I see and knowing what I have on my company laptop that has 7% left on a 40gb drive (it is packed with programs and data).

Rshaffer61 If we get some space, you might want to run TreeSize to see what shows up. I need to leave.

123runner

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah it looks as though the programs in add\remove are all used programs so not going to be much help there.

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
1. The suggestion of deleting all but the last Restore point is obviously an option, not sure if maryberry has checked as per 123Runner's instructions ?

2. As rshaffer61suggested Uninstalling some programs.
If maryberry you've an Installation Disk for a large program, that may have to be UnInstalled, then once you have more room ReInstalled.

maryberry In Add/Remove programs there is a check box at the top, "Show Updates". Unchecking that button will hide the "Windows Updates" so a little easier to see what software you have installed.

3.Looking inside My Computer by double clicking the Desktop Icon, then Right clicking the C:\ Drive icon, selecting from the Drop down Menu "Properties" can also give a simpler "view" of the Disk space as a pie graph, maybe easier than Disk Management pics, plus once there the Disk Clean Utility and System Restore options are handy.

Difficult when multiple people reply I know, definitely hope I'm not treading on any toes, just trying to simplify procedure which at this point seems Uninstall, and Reinstall a program large enough to offer some Disk space to work with.

Radical/desperate option which may help.
Running TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer simple instructions on that page.
I've seen it remove 50 MB's, could be a simple solution, or starting point rather.

Be interested to hear what you think rshaffer61, 123Runner?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Topaz

3.Looking inside My Computer by double clicking the Desktop Icon, then Right clicking the C:\ Drive icon, selecting from the Drop down Menu "Properties" can also give a simpler "view" of the Disk space as a pie graph, maybe easier than Disk Management pics, plus once there the Disk Clean Utility and System Restore options are handy.

This is a option, but we prefer to see all the drives and partitions that the Ops have.
Also I do not want to lose all the restore points at this time in case we need them (we shouldn't but you never know).

ATF cleaner has been suggested which is just as good as TFC (sorry).

maryberry Have you cleaned the files using ATF Cleaner?

123runner

maryberry

maryberry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
yes i have used the atf and it's helped free up some space on the drive

Attached Thumbnails

• disk_space_on_c.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is looking like a problem more of just to much data and programs on the drive.
In most cases like this I would normally suggest purchasing a larger drive.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to the Control Panel...Add or Remove Programs...scroll down and see if you have Rescue and Recovery...if so click Remove...
reboot...then see how much free space you have...
set the restore file size to 3%...
also set the swap file size to 1000MB...both the minimum and the maximum set to the same number...
you need at least 15 % free space on a hard drive or you will not even be able to defrag the drive...
it will also screw up the MBR (master boot record)
you can also delete the updates backups and save about 600+ megabytes...the path is click on my computer...C:...windows folder...delete all the $ntuninstall files you find there...

Edited by happyrock, 22 January 2010 - 06:03 PM.

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
The Windows updates Uninstallers can safely be uninstalled with CCleaner, not a great idea but has anyone ever used one ? :) , but seems we are between a rock and a hard place.

When deleting the System Restore points, via Disk Clean, Windows retains the most recent Restore Point so no real problem as I see. Generally before a Defrag I clear all but the Last Restore Point, because pointless defragging old restore points, plus an ERUNT Backup is probably a great idea for maryberry at this time. About 30 to 40 MB's.

Have you tried a search say for *.Doc ? A USB Drive is essential, you have to get one and put whatever you can like .Docs, .txt, .jpg, .avi, .mpeg, .mp3, and whatever else you can think of and get them onto a USB stick.

Options for adjusting the System Restore size and Page Swap File (Virtual Memory) suggested by happyrock can be found: Control Panel > System > SYSTEM RESTORE TAB, ...plus If you opt to adjust the Virtual Memory (Swap File) the ADVANCED TAB .

maryberry proceed with care. Do not do anything if you're unsure.
Post if your wanting further clarification, and do nothing if unsure.
It will just take a little time to sort this out, but it can be done!
Forum help is obviously a little slow with time zones, etc.

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Please read this thread for solving similar problem.

http://social.msdn.m...c-6a51e44a5aa4/

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

" ...When you are working on your computer and installing a new program, the installation suddenly fails. Now you are left with a partly installed program. You try to install the program again, but you are unsuccessful. Or, maybe you have problems trying to remove an old program because the installation files are corrupted.

Do not worry. Windows Installer CleanUp Utility might be able to help. You can use the utility to remove installation information for programs that were installed by using Windows Installer. Be aware that Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will not remove the actual program from your computer. However, it will remove the installation files so that you can start the installation, upgrade, or uninstall over. "

So the options are growing :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

The Windows updates Uninstallers can safely be uninstalled with CCleaner,

what version of ccleaner does that...

Advertisements

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

what version of ccleaner does that...

I believe every version has done so; in the Cleaner section, Windows/Advanced/Hotfix Uninstallers.

@ maryberry The above Windows Installer CleanUp Utility reference is not an option, please disregard, thanks :)

keep us informed, the guy's here will help you resolve this problem .

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
not in mine...

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
We're way of topic, but I suppose CCleaner could be a part of "the fix" to maryberry's Disk Space problem.

1.You're using CCleaner version 1.17.094 which is why you can't see the later functions.
Released: 26 Feb 2005 (4 years 10 months ago)

2. The current CCleaner is Version 2.27.1070. ( I'm outdated a little, downloading Version 2.27.1070 as I post ) :)
It's available, for free HERE
CCleaner_v2.26.1050.png
You'll see in the Advanced Section at bottom , Hotfix Uninstallers.

3. I also see you haven't updated WinXP SP2 to SP3, your security choice.

Keeping programs up to date is rather important nevertheless.

Hopefully maryberry's fixed the Disk space problem, or will post how things are going as we have not heard back from her.
Feels best I have no further input to this thread, too many cooks ...

Edited by Topaz, 24 January 2010 - 10:45 AM.

maryberry

maryberry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
set the restore file size to 3%...
also set the swap file size to 1000MB...both the minimum and the maximum set to the same number...
you need at least 15 % free space on a hard drive or you will not even be able to defrag the drive...
it will also screw up the MBR (master boot record)
you can also delete the updates backups and save about 600+ megabytes...the path is click on my computer...C:...windows folder...delete all the $ntuninstall files you find there...

I'm still trying to figure out how to do this part, sorry guys i'm just not computer smart

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Which part are you referencing as there are several steps you have listed. We can provide the individual steps but need to know which you are asking about.