Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

disk space

• Please log in to reply

maryberry

maryberry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
okay another silly question, i unchecked both boxes as Topaz asked and hit apply and then it started to do an "applying attributes" i canceled it, it showed 21 days for it to download?

Advertisements

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
No , it's not a silly question, but it's a shame no one picked up on the screen shot in Post #20, where you had compress the drive. Bummer !
Sorry, apart from something drastic, I'm out of ideas. I've not gone down the path of compressing a Drive, partially.

You could follow the instructions to disable the Indexing service, at least you'd have more resources on hand as this service is using memory doing a task which isn't required.
Windows has a HELP and Support Center maryberry. It's easy to find (START > Help and Support) and well worth looking at to get an idea of how to run Win XP, and what the terminology means .
How's your free DiskSpace looking ? State of your Comp, performace, any problems, etc.
Attributes, which you can look up in Help and support, if I understand correctly what last you posted, are file properties i.e. Read Only, Hidden, Archived. Seems Windows was undoing the changes made when Compression of the Drive was initiated. Without the machine in front of you it is difficult to cover all bases, check every setting.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Post 21 by me

This is looking like a problem more of just to much data and programs on the drive.
In most cases like this I would normally suggest purchasing a larger drive.

Then in post 44 I stated
Being you only have a 30 gig hard drive then your system is older and you will have to look for maybe a 80 or 100 gig hard drive that will be compatible and work with your system.

The drive is small by todays standards and being that it is compressed there is no room for uncompressing at this point. Replacing the drive with a larger drive will help you alot.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

but it's a shame no one picked up on the screen shot in Post #20, where you had compress the drive. Bummer !

This is not true. I was aware of it, but if you uncheck that function it will try to put the drive back to "uncompress" and there is no room. The idea was to get the OP some wiggle room by cleaning things out which we have all worked at.

A couple choices for programs to uninstall/replace.
Uninstall Norton security (if the license is up or close to it). Replace it with Avast or Avira. Both are light on resources and do not take up a lot of room.
Uninstall Adobe 7 and replace it with Foxit Reader. Foxit does everything that Adobe does. It is also light on resources.

Have you done Post 43 as Happyrock suggested?

123runner

maryberry

maryberry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
here's the results of spacemonger...and which would be better avast or avira?

Attached Thumbnails

• spacemonger.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Both work about the same. I myself use AVAST but Avira is pretty good also. It really comes down to your preference. Take a look at their websites and see what you think of their interfaces and which one looks easier for you to use.

maryberry

maryberry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok i uninstalled norton and all components and now i have disk space...and has avira loaded now

Attached Thumbnails

• new_free_space.JPG

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You picked up a lot of disk space just from uninstalling Norton.

If you haven't already I would do the following.

Run ATF cleaner or TFC (whichever you have) and then do a defrag with Auslogics.
After that I believe we are done.

Let us know how the computer is running After the temp cleaners and defrag.

123runner