Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant open folder

• Please log in to reply

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
okay long story short i screwed up my windows and needed to reinstall it, i inserted the disk and booted up i wanted to install the files into a diff folder but i forgot to and was kicking myself as it deleted the old windows files

neway in doccuments and settings i cannot access the folder Ben (which was my username before i resinstalled windows) there are files in there i need now im working out of a folder called jj but i still need acess to ben, when i try opening it it says " C:\Documents and Settings\Ben Is not Accessible," then on the next line "Access is denied"

is there anything i can do to ascess the files primarily ill need the files in desktop and my doccuments

thanks
ben

Advertisements

dinkaragg

dinkaragg

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
i can't get u that how come u r still seeing the folder named ben even after installing windows,
if its there try logging as administrator and then try accessing that,

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
it only deleted and reinstalled the files in the windows folder so it didnt affect doccuments and settings, and as im the only user on the computer im automatically the admin, i did try creating a new account called admin but it didnt work

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
;) Woohoo, finally made it back to Geeks....missed you all, anyway BTPH, when you reinstalled XP, we get into Sids...yadda, yadda, long story short, to access the Ben folder, if you have XP Pro, go first to My Documents, selet Tools - Folder Options - View tab - scroll all the way down and unselect "Use Simple File Sharing"

This will now show the Security tab on the properties of the folder. Right click on the Ben folder, select Properties - Security tab - Advanced Button, almost to the bottom of the window - Select Owner and take ownership with your new account.

Don't forget to check the little box on the left hand side to replace owner on all subcontainers. This will rewrite the sids and you will now be able to access you files in Ben. :tazz:

Hope this helps

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
im tunning xp home., i tried doing wot u told me but i cant see an option called "use simple file sharing" in the view

any other way to do this?

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
XP Home Edition will only allow Simple File sharing......the only other thing that comes to mind right away is to copy the Ben folder into the Sharing Folder that will allow other users to access the files......According to Microsoft Help:

Using the Shared Documents folderShared folders are counterparts to your personal folders: My Documents, My Pictures, and My Music. Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music provide a place for you to store files, pictures, and music that everyone on your computer can access. For example, Billy can put his homework in Shared Documents so that dad can check his work. And mom can put digital pictures from the family vacation in Shared Pictures so that the whole family can see them.

The contents of the shared folders are always available to anyone who uses your computer.

Give that a shot

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
thanks but that doesnt work either, when i try to copy and past it gives me pretty much the same roor message, except now it says make sure folder isnt write protected or in use. also hovering over it brings a tooltip saying folder is empty, which i know is impossible coz ive got a 120gb hard drive and theres only 85 gb left, (all the files in that folder take up the rest) which is why i need to access them

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Try this link

http://support.micro...;308421&sd=tech

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
thanks spank, this looks like it might work, ill try it out and let ya know, thanks

worked perfectly, got all my files back, thanks again spank

Edited by BTPH, 19 May 2005 - 04:20 PM.

yogender

yogender

• Pip
  • 2 posts

okay long story short i screwed up my windows and needed to reinstall it, i inserted the disk and booted up i wanted to install the files into a diff folder but i forgot to and was kicking myself as it deleted the old windows files

neway in doccuments and settings i cannot access the folder Ben (which was my username before i resinstalled windows) there are files in there i need now im working out of a folder called jj but i still need acess to ben, when i try opening it it says " C:\Documents and Settings\Ben  Is not Accessible," then on the next line "Access is denied"

is there anything i can do to ascess the files primarily ill need the files in desktop and my doccuments

thanks
ben

View Post