Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro Install Blue Screen at setup

• Please log in to reply

espen19

espen19

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have installed XP Pro many times, but I am having an issue installing it on a netbook that came preinstalled with XP home. The netbook is an Acer Aspire One. The XP disk that I am using works fine because I have used it recently. The computer hardware seems to be fine. This machine was just working with XP home on it and I just installed Linux Mint on it to make sure that the hardware was working properly. When setup starts to load, XP is loading setup files. When it gets ready to go and start setup, it bluescreens and will not load. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Seems like a hardware conflict, but this machine came preloaded with XP home and no hardware changes have been made to this machine other than I have to use an external CD ROM drive to load XP>.......

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
I have the EXACT same problem!!!

It's an Acer that HAD XP Home on it, and when the setup starts, it BSOD's... but i tried Windows 7, and it does it with that to...

Let me try my Ubuntu Linux Disk.

espen19

espen19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have even fully reformatted the hard drive and removed all partitions. Linux OS's seem to have no issue. good luck with Ubuntu. Hopefully you get it loaded. If I can get the wireless working on Mint, I am just going to forget about XP...

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
I'll let you know. But it seems to be my memory.

Sorry for the double post sort of thing but this error just seemed to be to coincidental wth mine.

Ubuntu comes with memtestx86 and it's just picked up a whack of errors but i am not to familiar with the program so i will have to let it finish first.

Pass Column : 0
Errors Column : 700064

espen19

espen19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for reposting. I have Ubuntu installed now. I am not familiar with any of these Linux OS's. It looks like the drivers are installed for my wireless card, but I have no idea how to connect to the internet using it. I did a hardware test earlier and it seemed to find everything and all hardware at that time was looking fine. I am so used to windows and now I need to figure out what I am doing with Ubuntu...