Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup Issue with Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

AMihal

AMihal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an SATA hard drive from a laptop whose motherboard met with an unfortunate and tragic demise. Being that said hard drive was not damaged, I decided to salvage it. I have a USB enclosure in which I intend to place the hard drive, reformat it, and use it for external storage, but first, there are a few files I need to retrieve from the drive. This drive fits nicely in my new laptop, so I swapped the hard drives and attempted to boot up. The drive has Windows Vista on it, and when I booted up (or tried to) it ran into startup issues. So I ran the startup repair and it identified the problem of a bad driver. So my question is how do I get the right driver? or is there a way to access the files without running the operating system?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unfortunately under Vista you cannot introduce it to a new board and expect it to work. Startup Repair doesn't actually fix anything because it's a useless piece of garbage that's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard at the best of times.
If there are files on the drive you want, leave the drive in its caddy and connect it to an already working computer and get them that way.