Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys RangePlus Router Trouble

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

tmaff

tmaff

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I live in a dorm where wireless routers are banned, but my RA told me that I shouldnt worry about that and that I could still use it. I used a linksys rangeplus router all last semester encrypted and named "Clapp". When I tried setting the router back up this semester, I simply could not connect to the internet at all. I tried plugging the ethernet cable directly into my laptop and I realized I had to log in again onto the schools network. I thought that everything would work out fine once I did that, and the local area connection did work perfectly once I logged back in, but the router still wasnt working- wirelessly or with another ethernet cable running from any of the ports to my laptop. I was told the dorm may have banned all the routers from last semester over the break, but I am picking up wifi from a connection I saw last semester so I think that is probably not true. When the router is plugged into the wall, it has the power, internet, and wifi lights all on, but I cant find "Clapp" on my list of connections. Also when those lights are lit up, if I try to plug in a cord from my laptop to the router, the internet light goes out. This is just really weird and I have no idea what to do.

Please help me out if you have any advice at all. Thanks in advance!

-TMAFF-

Advertisements

tmaff

tmaff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button for 30 seconds and reconfigured thru the linksys setup disk. IT WORKS! If resetting and reconfiguring the router is not a problem for you, and nothing else seems to work, i recommend trying that.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
tmaff,

We will not help you circumvent any rules put in place by your school's administration. I'm closing this topic - please do not ask for any more help in this matter.