Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Customizing folders in Vista

• Please log in to reply

kath3

kath3

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi All,
I'm having some difficulties customizing my folders.
My OS is Vista Home Premium.
I have spent hours adding a picture to each of my individual pictures folders, music folders and documents folders for easy identification.
I know the process >>> (click) properties >>> (click) customize >>> (click) choose file >> (click open) >>> (click) add.
Everything looks great for a few days or until I add a new file to a particular folder, this is when crazy :) things begin to happen. My selected picture changes ... I will sometimes end up with a album cover picture showing up on one of my personal photos folder.
Is my computer possessed? :)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Advertisements

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Howdy kath3. :)

An extremely annoying problem; I feel your pain.

For the below fix you will need to edit the registry. Please follow my below instructions first to backup a copy of your registry before you proceed any further.

Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot perform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Download ERUNT (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)

• Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)

• Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)

• Choose a location for the backup (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.

Posted Image

1. Go to Start > Control Panel > View
2. Click the Reset Folders button
3. Click Yes
4. Click Ok

Now that you have backed up the registry you may proceed. If at any point you have a question please stop and don't hesitate to ask. :)

Now follow the below to make Vista remember any future changes you make:

5. Click Start
6. In the Search box type regedit and press Enter
7. Click Continue if a warning appears
8. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
9. In the left pane, click Bags > Delete
10. When prompted click Yes
11. In the left pane click BagMRU > Delete
12. When prompted click Yes

13. Then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
14. In the left pane, click Bags > Delete
15. When prompted click Yes
16. In the left pane click BagMRU > Delete
17. When prompted click Yes

18. Then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam
19. In the left pane, click Bags > Delete
20. When prompted click Yes
21. In the left pane click BagMRU > Delete
22. When prompted click Yes

23. Now go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
24. In the left pane click Shell > New > Key
25. Type Bags and press Enter
26. In the left pane right click on Bags > Click New > Key
27. Type AllFolders and press Enter
28. In the left pane select AllFolders > New > Key
29. Type Shell and press Enter
30. In the right pane of Shell, right-click on an empty spot > Click New > String Value
31. Type FolderType and press Enter
32. In the right pane of FolderType click Modify
33. Type NotSpecified and click Ok

Once you have completed all of the above, change your folders to the pictures you want and let me know how they go. :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You can get the above registry fix from here: http://www.smartestc...showtopic=36574 without going through changes manually.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

You can get the above registry fix from here: http://www.smartestc...showtopic=36574 without going through changes manually.

So you can. Don't forget to backup the registry first.

Thanks Broni! :)

Edited by Robin Hood, 21 January 2010 - 04:03 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
:)

kath3

kath3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Robin Hood,
Wow!!! I'm impressed with your insturctions :)
A HUGE thank you to you :)
It will be a week till I can get to this as we have dial-up :) and downloading anything is painful.
There is a highspeed access center in our community that I volunteer at on Wednesdays, I will download Erunt then.
Just wanted to let you know incase you keep track.
Also,I will definitly let you know how I make out.
If all goes well this will be a blessing for me as I'm an organizing freak :)
One more thing. I'm a newbie and this is my first "needing help" post ... can I save your instructions?
All Good Things,

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Hi Robin Hood,
Wow!!! I'm impressed with your insturctions :)
A HUGE thank you to you ;)
It will be a week till I can get to this as we have dial-up :) and downloading anything is painful.
There is a highspeed access center in our community that I volunteer at on Wednesdays, I will download Erunt then.
Just wanted to let you know incase you keep track.
Also,I will definitly let you know how I make out.
If all goes well this will be a blessing for me as I'm an organizing freak :)
One more thing. I'm a newbie and this is my first "needing help" post ... can I save your instructions?
All Good Things,

Hey kath3. :)

I'm glad we could be of help. You can definitely save them if you would like. :)

As for the registry backup, there is another way. You won't need to download anything doing this way:

1. Click Start > Run
2. Type in the box %SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
3. Click Ok

4. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
5. Click Create A System Restore Point > Next
6. On the Create a Restore Point page, type a name for the restore point and then click Create
7. After the restore point has been created, click Close

Note: If System Restore is turned off, you receive a message that asks whether you want to turn on System Restore now. Click Yes. Then, in the System Properties dialog box, click to clear the Turn off System Restore check box, click OK, and then repeat this step.

Hope this helps. :)

kath3

kath3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey Robin Hood,
Thank you for the easy version :) . I'll try that root first.
Sorry to be a pain, I'm not computer minded at all :) , and still fumbling around with this site. I'm trying to save your first set of instructions and I've been clicking all over the place in "My Controls" to no avail. Decided to take the long way and copy and paste into word pad, but then I don't get the Erunt picture.
So sorry but you're dealing with a (computer nurd?) grandma :)
Can you tell me how to save your instructions ... really don't want to loose them.
If you can't do it I won't bother you again and will just cut and paste.
And if your busy helping someone else this little hurdle can wait.
Don't you just love my kind.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Hey Robin Hood,
Thank you for the easy version ;) . I'll try that root first.
Sorry to be a pain, I'm not computer minded at all :) , and still fumbling around with this site. I'm trying to save your first set of instructions and I've been clicking all over the place in "My Controls" to no avail. Decided to take the long way and copy and paste into word pad, but then I don't get the Erunt picture.
So sorry but you're dealing with a (computer nurd?) grandma :)
Can you tell me how to save your instructions ... really don't want to loose them.
If you can't do it I won't bother you again and will just cut and paste.
And if your busy helping someone else this little hurdle can wait.
Don't you just love my kind.

Howdy kath3. :)

Not a problem. :)

As for saving the instructions, copy and past would be best. To save the links just right click the link and click Copy link address. As for the picture, just drag it onto your desktop. Your best bet would be to save it with the text in word.

If you are still having trouble let me know and I can send you the document (but since you are on dial up the above might be quicker. :) )

It's a pleasure helping. Not a problem at all. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Edited by Robin Hood, 21 January 2010 - 06:03 PM.

kath3

kath3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey again Robin Hood,
When I clicked on the link that Broni sent it came up as a blank page.
This is harder than I thought. Can't I just save the post you sent me with the instructions?

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Hey kath3. :)

As far as I know you can't actually save a post. :) I will enquire further to find out for you.

If you would like, I can however copy the coding I used and send it you via notepad so you have the link addresses and pictures as well as the total post instructions.

As for Broni's link, it worked when I clicked on it and took me straight to the download link. You might be better off just following the manual fix.

Hope this helps. :)

kath3

kath3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks again Robin Hood,
I will go the manual way. I tried the link again and it still says blank page (weird!!)
You have been fantastic with me. I'm going to tell all my grannie friends about this site.(oh no!)
Awesome, Awesome, Awesome help!

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
You are very welcome kath3. :)

I have enquired about saving a post and will get back to you on that one. :)

Let me know if the method works. :)

EDIT: rshaffer61 has said that your best shot is to bookmark it. :)

Edited by Robin Hood, 21 January 2010 - 07:00 PM.