Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

router been hacked?

• Please log in to reply

alieninfection

alieninfection

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I believe someone has had access to my router and what I log into now is not the real login page.

My internet usage has increased dramatically for no apparent reason, the login page even looks a little screwy now too.
When I change settings they change back, and the time never updates.

I have reset it a few times before but it always seems to change back.

Is there any way i can tell for sure?

Either way Im going to get a new router, and im wiping & reinstalling all of my pcs.

But, If someone knows my Ip address can they do it again?

Thanks

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi alieninfection; welcome to G2G :)

Is this a wireless router? People can access your routers settings if they know the username / password -- the best defense for this is to change the username and password from the default that comes with the device.

If your router is a wireless device, do you have security / encryption setup (e.g. WPA, WEP, etc.)?

Changing your routers default username / password and implementing wireless security are the two standard steps to ensuring your network remains secure.

- Dan