Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

faulty power supply?

• Please log in to reply

masterb7

masterb7

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
A few days ago, my computer would no longer properly start up: it powers up, but even before i see a sign off activity on my screen, it would promptly turn off, thus within at max. 10 seconds. I opened the case to make sure everything was connected, and I couldnt find a thing. What was worse, it wouldnt power up at all anymore.

A bit later though, I found out that pulling out the plug and inserting it back in would once again power up, though shut down just after that. And a few tries later, trying to find out what could be the problem, (looked for coolers not running etc., which all worked by the way) it suddenly did manage to completely boot. At that point I could use the comp as much as id like, but unfortunately, once I closed off the computer, the problem returned, and I chose not to mess with it any longer.

Now, I looked up a few things myself, and I think that it is the feeder (is that correct? Im not english myself so I am not sure) that is no longer functioning properly. However, before I go buy myself a new feeder, I want to hear some off the people who know these things better than I do, and see what they think. And lastly, would installing a new feeder prove difficult? Which new feeder would be recomended? And perhaps a linkthrough to a guide showing me how its done?

Thanks to all who help (or are willing to :)) :)

ps: sorry for any grammatic errors or so. As I said, im not english myself. :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
feeder may be some kind of translation gap...but power supply (or PSU) is what you're looking for..

it SOUNDS as though yours is going bad. what make/model is the computer? custom built or store bought?

replacing the PSU is really very easy (one of the easiest components to replace) you just have to make sure that you get the right type/size to replace with. by size i mean power rating...if you take a look at the old PSU you'll find a label with a bunch of numbers on it...these are the voltage/wattage ratings. you want to make sure you get a new one with at least the same ratings if not higher (going higher won't hurt anything, going lower will). if you're not sure what you're looking at you can post all the information listed on the old PSU and we can help you find one online, or you can pull the old one out (again very easy...just follow the wires and unplug them all then take the thing out of the case) and take it to your local computer store and ask them to sell you a suitable replacement

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Thanks for the fast answer. My computer is currently open, so I can look at it right now...

My PSU (yeah, that was it.) is an ATX-400W
Cooling system: 3 fans
An Asrock motherboard

And thats about all I can read like this. Not really sure how I would look up other details. Also, I think the computer is custom build. Though I would not really be sure, since I bought it from someone who fixes computers for his job.

Also, would u like me to go deeper in the wattage ratings, or would that be unnecesary?

Edited by masterb7, 22 January 2010 - 01:44 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1078 something like that would fit the bill

http://www.tigerdire...a...078|&Sort=4 that's a full list from that website...

i'm by no means a hardware geek...i don't know what the best PSU is to get so i can't make any solid suggestions. i do know that thermaltake is often suggested round here...as well as other brands.

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Well, I have confirmation that it is indeed most likely mine PSU, which was essentially what I was looking for, so thank you :) Ill go to the store this day or another, and will ask for that thermaltake. And if thats not going to work out, theres always still just another copy off what I allready had, does it not?

So thank you, you've been off great help :) I will make sure to post if installing the new PSU worked. :)

However, need to make sure one more thing: the cards leading from the PSU to the motherboard etc. are delivered together with the PSU? Or would i have to open it up and dislodge some sort off start cable within there?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the cords are all built in to a normal PSU...you can get a modular one where the cords aren't...but i wouldn't suggest that for you.

if you're just going to pop down to the local computer shop i suggest bringing the old PSU with you. it will make getting the new one a lot easier on you given your level of knowledge (not being mean about that...some people know more than others)...it's always best to be prepared

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Hah, I know, I know. I am just glad to know a bit about my pc, mainly since I never did any real study, so I realize what you mean. Good, I will take mine old PSU with me to the store. And thank you once again :)

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I am now currently surfing on my comp. It was indeed the PSU, and I decided to instantly go for one a bit more powerfull, which will sure last me some time :) Since nothing seems to have occured, I'd say it was a succes, and a big thanks to dsenette :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible