Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Headset mic no longer works

• Please log in to reply

Jaekus

Jaekus

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I have a cheap Plantronics headset with mic and it's been working fine since I bought it but now the mic is no longer working, although the headphones work fine.

I have both cables plugged into the rear green and pink ports. I've searched the net, tried all the audio settings and testing I can find in windows (and Realtek HD software) and there's not a sound coming from the mic.

I'm really beat, maybe the mic is now defective but I'd like to try all software angles first.

Running XP for my OS. The headset and mic have been permanently attached since I bought it.

Advertisements

Battery55

Battery55

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Sounds silly, but make sure your mute slider isn't on on your headset. A lot of times cheap headsets have one or the other cord get a short in it. My advice would be to grab a Logitech USB headset. Mine's lasted me for 2 years already. Plus, with USB you don't have to worry about so many cables. Also, what method are you using to see that your mic is not working?

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I tested the headset on my girlfriend's laptop and yes, the mute slider was across. It seemed to work fine and I was going to delete this thread, but now the only sound I get is the sound already running through my headphones, but it starts echoing and getting louder till it distorts terribly. I'm not sure what this is but I've never come across it before. I'm searching the net for answers so if I find a solution I'll reply back.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Ok, so I found out the problem was caused by by the stereo mix in master volume>options>properties>Realtek HD Audio Input>ok> then muting that option (stereo mix). But now I get no sound at all with the mic, even with all levels at full and the boost in both the Realtek HD audio properties and the windows master volume mic boost on. I'm at a loss what else to try. It works on my girlfriend's laptop so I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware fault.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Umm ok so I played around with the mic input a few times and it magically came back... despite doing this heaps last night and it didn't do anything! Must be the input or the jack are a little faulty or something. I can't delete this thread but thanks for the reply.

Also, if anyone is having the echo that increases in volume issue (as I read on quite a few forums) turning off the stereo mixer option as described above *should* solve it.