Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD Activity .... every 2 -3 seconds

• Please log in to reply

rirussgee

rirussgee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Have installed a DP55WG with a I7 860 and a Radeon 4850 with a 640 HDD. Windows 7 Ultimate. 8GB memory

Everything running real good after built.

the only concern I have is the Activity (red) light that briefly blinks every 2 - 3 seconds and so does the SATA drive activity LED (blue).

After installing Win7 and noticing this I ran ProcMon and got these results

http://img19.imagesh.../activityqz.jpg

but after running it several times the results varied too much for me to be able to pinpoint some issue that could be causing this activity of the HDD.

I clean reinstalled W7, the brief blinks continued, this without installing anything else, not even internet, I got this:

htp://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8536/promonvirgenw7.jpg

I then got another HDD and clean installed (single HDD by itself) Windows XP pro and the blinking was the same, again without installing any additional programs or Internet I got this:

http://img258.images...egmonitorxp.jpg

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you.

note: There is no blinking when Using the setup menus (F2)

Edited by rirussgee, 23 January 2010 - 09:13 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Providing the drive isn't actually making any noises and isn't constantly churning (whirring away) this is normal behaviour.

Please be aware you have normal overheads such as page/swap file operations, System Restore, normal Windows optimisation procedures, Prefetch, file indexing, background de-fragmentation, add-ins from Windows Update such as Desktop Search, other programs, and so on and so forth.

No copy of Windows sits there and does nothing. It is always doing something when it looks like it's doing nothing.

rirussgee

rirussgee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Providing the drive isn't actually making any noises and isn't constantly churning (whirring away) this is normal behaviour.

Please be aware you have normal overheads such as page/swap file operations, System Restore, normal Windows optimisation procedures, Prefetch, file indexing, background de-fragmentation, add-ins from Windows Update such as Desktop Search, other programs, and so on and so forth.

No copy of Windows sits there and does nothing. It is always doing something when it looks like it's doing nothing.

Thank you for the information, and No the drive is quiet as can be but I wondered what all that NAME NOT FOUND Length 144 occurances lines were about.

My previous PC did not have all this activity show up or maybe the red led was in a not so visible spot like this one is ???

Thank you again for your input.