Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Confused About Whether To Update A Driver

• Please log in to reply

jek1862

jek1862

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
just did a diagnostic test and it recommended that I update a driver on my system. It was the Display Adapters driver. The details on it are: VIA/S3G Unichrome Pro IGP date-6/8/05 ver. 6.14.10.227.
Recommends I update to: date-4/28/07 ver. 6.14.10.0364. Now, I have asked people before about updating drivers, but I get conflicting responses. Some say, if your device is working properly, don't bother updating the driver, even if it recommends it. Others say, update the driver, but if you have problems after updating, roll back to the previous driver. I have no flags in Device Manager by Display Adapters, plus when I let Vista search for an updated driver online I got the message: "The best driver software for your device is already installed. Windows has determined that the driver software for your device is up to date." So I am confused about the bottom line on updating drivers. I will say that I tend to lean towards that if I am not having any trouble with the device, to just leave well enough alone and not bother updating the driver. However, I think to myself, maybe I might get improved performance from the device by updating the driver. So I am torn. I would like some feedback and opinions on this. Also, if somebody could find me the link for the updated driver mentioned here I would greatly appreciate it, if I do decide to update the driver. Thanks.

Advertisements

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Howdy jek1862. :)

My personal opinion is to update when a new version is available because:
1. It can give improved performance
2. It can fix bugs and other known problems

To update your driver go here:

http://www.via.com.t...ort/drivers.jsp

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi jek1862

Are you having any issues with the display?

I am concerned about the version issues you listed. Usually version issues will go up in the number and not down.

old ver. 6.14.10.227
new ver. 6.14.10.0364

Note the last set of digits. Unless you missed a number there, the version would be going down and not up.

I personnally will not update a driver unless it will fix something. Why mess with something that is already working.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
123Runner has a good point concerning updating drivers. You would be wise to follow the advice. :)